TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A/C draws LOTS of power (more)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 06:55 AM
STTeve R

Default A/C draws LOTS of power (more)

The weather here in the desert southwest almost makes it a daily necessity to use the A/C. But, now that Autumn is here, the days are cooling down. I have noticed a BIG difference in the handling of the TT with the A/C off as compared to using the A/C. This problem doesn't even exist in the old clunker Mazda Protege we have...and it is a 4-banger with only 123 hp.
So, is there something causing this? Or is it the norm? Really would like serious critique. Thanks in advance.

STTeve
Old 09-23-1999, 09:17 AM
Steve Valin

Default Re: A/C draws LOTS of power (more)

A/C shouldn't rob the engine of that much power. I've heard driving at speed with the windows down creates more drag than a modern A/C! How much cooler is the weather? You get more power if the air is cooler. Maybe this is your explanation?

Old 09-23-1999, 10:16 AM
John TT

Default A/C sucks power out of our A4 Avant 2.8 (tiptronic) too - could be an overall Audi thing (more)

The unit is probably shared accross all Audi / VW platforms and is likely one of the ways that Audi is able to have such competitive pricing.
Old 09-23-1999, 11:19 AM
PeterK

I've been impressed with the TT's LACK of power drain when I push on the A/C. In my other cars, I can feel the engine drag when the compressor kicks on but with my experience with my TT is total transparency when the compressor kicks on or off; no power loss in the slightest.

2000 TT 180FWD
1966 TR4A
Old 09-23-1999, 01:21 PM
Marius B

Default Re: A/C draws no power...

... when you floor the pedal, it says somewhere in the manual, if memory serves me right.

Anyway, the A/C would draw less than 5 % of available engine power, which is less than you and I can distinguish by feel. Handling then, per se, is only remotely dependant on engine power. Using the A/C or not is only a matter of a little extra gas consumption. Stay cool!

Marius
Old 09-23-1999, 03:01 PM
Ed Burley

It's been getting down right cold here in the MotorCity. It was about 40F last night when I was driving home. Because cold air = dense air, and the intercooler is also air cooled, small turbocharged/intercooled engines produce a lot more power when its cold. I would guess a 8-10 hp gain just from the cold air. (I really need to chip my TT!)

Two other comments on driving in the cold:

1. The butt warmers are fantastic!

2. When the heater is on, air is redirected to the windshild vents from the two center vents. This keeps the windshield from fogging up, but your right arm gets cold.

Ed