TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Call from Audi re: bad instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call from Audi re: bad instrument cluster

I posted a thread a few days ago regarding the instrument cluster that has gone bad in my 2001 TT Roadster. I mentioned that there is a law firm organizing a class action law suit against Audi for this known problem with the instrument clusters. In the UK there was a recall for this problem, but not in the US.

A few days ago I sent an e-mail to Audi through their web site telling them of my problem, hoping to get their support. Today Audi returned my call, which I appreciated. I told the customer care rep about the issue and she said there is no record of a problem with instrument clusters, however I'd be welcome to bring my car into an Audi dealer to have it looked at.

I have decided to sell my TT due to the amount of money it costs me in maintenance and repairs, so I don't have the time to take it to the dealer (in Sacramento) and wait for a decision from Audi, especially when they are stating there are no known quality issues with the instrument clusters. The woman that called said the car specs may be different in the UK. I'm not upset that they are asking me to bring the car into the dealer, but that she is telling me there is no pattern or history of problems with instrument clusters in TT's. How can that be when they have had a recall in the UK, plus I can tell many people on this board have suffered with a bad cluster.

I am selling the car, and I brought it into the shop today for a new cluster. I'll be out approx $1000- to get it repaired. I have signed up to be part of the class action law suit. Realistically it will probably be a few years before this case is settled.

In the mean time I will probably buy a new car in the fall, but not another Audi. I enjoyed my TT, but I won't buy a car that is not backed by the manufacturer, especially when there is a known issue (which was denied today).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's unfortunate.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wasn't there a post a few days ago about someone repairing these for $200?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Wasn't there a post a few days ago about someone repairing these for $200?

If there is I'd like to know about it.

stockcerts@yahoo.com
Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Search for BBA and cluster repair. Should pull up some hits
Old 08-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Or ebay, they list on there to repair as well.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:38 PM

Default BBA remanucturing

I had it done by them, it's $250 with a lifetime warranty. Mine is starting to act up again so it looks like I will be sending it out again soon. If your TT is your daily driver it's not the way to go because the cluster needs to be sent to them for the repair.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bba-reman.com">http://www.bba-reman.com</a</li></ul>
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Warranty issue. They were defective from day 1, and Audi knows it...

the warranty covers defects in material and workmanship. It doesn't matter that the symptoms didn't appear until after the warranty period - it was a pre-existing defect.

Screw the bastages.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Search for BBA and cluster repair. Should pull up some hits

I will do a search for BBA, thanks. I just posted a complaint similar to my posting here on www.planetfeedback.com. They not only post complaints for others to read, they also forward the complaint to Audi.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a big reason why resale (and residuals) for Audis are poor.

Quick Reply: Call from Audi re: bad instrument cluster