TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Calling the knowledgeable on Anodize/Alodine coatings for aluminum... help please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling the knowledgeable on Anodize/Alodine coatings for aluminum... help please...

My FMIC is currently at what is supposed to be a top-notch anodizing facility, as I want it to be stealthy black instead of silver. I was hoping to surprise you guys with pics, but I need some advice before I have them coat the part. They aren't very helpful.

First of all, they can't dip the IC to coat it with the inlets/outlets capped, so they have to coat the whole thing inside and out. I suppose thats fine if the coating doesn't degrade inside over time and get sucked into my induction path. Unfortunately, they can't say what will happen, other then that the coating won't ever flake.

I called Terry Griffin, (Griffen Motorwerke) and he suggested an Alodine coating, as it is supposed to help dissipate heat. I'm not sure if I can get it done in black, however, and again I worry about having the inside coated with anything.

So what do you guys think? Can I safely coat the IC inside without fear of what might end up in the engine over time? Also, can anyone tell me how hot an IC can get? (max temps.)
Old 06-26-2001, 10:25 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know nothing about anodizing, so I'd stick with silver :-P
Old 06-26-2001, 10:43 AM

Well, at least you didn't tell me that the coatings taste like chicken. :-P
Old 06-26-2001, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What he said. It's just not worth the chance.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:02 AM

Default Evan, verify with the anodize shop that there will not be any reaction with the....

solder/braze where the fins meet up with the large end caps.

You said that the whole unit is aluminum??? can you verify that with Forge???

Find out if the cross fins are welded or glued in place. If they are glued, I would not proceed with the anodize as the process is fairly invasive as it actually etches the surface and then electrochemically deposits the material that is the anodize. I would doubt that the epoxy would survive the process or be reliable over the long run.

Alodine is a easier and less invasive process, but it is not designed to be an external coating.. ie it will fade and wash away over time... I'm not sure how any adhesives would react to it... you will have to find that out from the plater....

Now if the unit is ALL aluminum with welded fins, there should be no problem with dipping the whole unit. Did they say why they cannot do only the outside? Is it because it is too bouyant to submerge??? did they think of filling it with water and sealing the ends to keep it filled and the water out of their tank???

Give me a call if you want to discuss this more....
Old 06-26-2001, 11:06 AM
Elder Member

That's because I assumed you knew that already
Old 06-26-2001, 11:09 AM

cool info^^^^^^^^^^ I would think about taking some high temp paint
Old 06-26-2001, 11:11 AM
Elder Member

Default The entire piece is aluminum and aluminum welding . . .

No glues are used anywhere.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:18 AM

Default Damn Ted, you're on top of this stuff...

exactly the items I've been discussing with the shop.

For starters, I'm going to pick up the unit from the place that has it now, because I perceive them to be idiots. Then I'm taking it to a place here in Fremont... they were much more knowledgeable/helpful, and will be happy to evaluate the job. They asked me the same exact questions you did... so we'll see what they say when they have the IC in front of them. If they are hesitant, then it stays silver.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2001, 11:19 AM

Thanks Lar!

Quick Reply: Calling the knowledgeable on Anodize/Alodine coatings for aluminum... help please...