TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A callout to all of the quattro whizzes out there, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A callout to all of the quattro whizzes out there, please help!!!

Okay, here's the story, I'm starting my senior year in Electronics Engineering Technology at the University of Southern Mississippi. In order to graduate, we have to design, develop, test, and present a project involving both discrete electronic circuitry as well as some type of microprocessor control. Since my main interest lies in the automotive field, I decided to start looking for ideas within my own vehicle. After much contemplation, I have decided to build a Haldex Performance Controller, similar to the various models currently on the market. What I need at this point is links to information about the quattro system, the haldex unit, ESP, ABS, the various sensors used to detect lateral movement, G forces, wheelspin, etc. and any other useful information along these lines. If anyone knows where I can find specifics about the code used for communication between the haldex controller and the ECU, then that will pretty much set it in stone. So what's the benefit to you for helping me gather this information? I'm glad you asked. Well, assuming that I can gather enough information, and that I can actually build a well functioning unit, then I will be able to manufacture them at limited scale in about 10 months, and for significantly cheaper than similar products sell for. So PLEASE HELP!!! I have to know by Monday if this project is feasible or I will have to resort to something much less interesting and useful, and likely not involving the TT....
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Probably a CANbus type interface. I bet you could do it, but...

It would require a lot of reverse engineering. If you are serious about this project, I would contact an Audi tuning shop and see if they could help you contact the various sources you need for this project. Try giving EIP Tuning(or someother place) a call to find out if they are just reselling performance controllers or actually creating their own.

My feeling is that without serious documentation, you'll shred your differentials. To get the documentation from Haldex you would probably have to spend $$$ to license a Haldex dev kit.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM

Default Have you taken a course in dynamics? If not, I wouldn't even try...

Maybe look into making your own VAGcom type diagnostic tool... Better to listen in on the car doing its thing than to risk damaging your car. Perhaps a live computer gauge setup?<ul><li><a href="http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/adams/euro/2000/Haldex_Limited_Slip_Coupling.pdf#search=%22haldex% 20performance%20controller%22">http://www.mscsoftware.com/support/library/conf/adams/euro/2000/Haldex_Limited_Slip_Coup
Old 08-24-2006, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go with what you know....even if it's "boring"
Old 08-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default there's a few electronic Haldex controllers out there...why waste your time with building

another one? do some research first...isn't that what school is about? and besides, if there was such an interest, people would have bought was out there already.

wouldn't bother.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default well, the idea is not to design something new...

if it was, then everyone who graduated would leave with a million dollar idea, for example, people in the past have built discrete amplifiers, one did a weather station that read data from 4 types of sensors and automatically updated a web page, one did a system that would automatically roll up the windows in a car and display it on a web page when the humidity got high enough or if it sensed rain....all pretty research intensive projects, but all things that had been done a hundred times before. Anyway, if I can actually get some good info, then I'll know what I'm up against, be it simple sensore emulation or full blown differential calculus equations controlled by a mini computer.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, there's not really anything of this caliber that I know already...

so why not gear my research towards something fun and useful?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another idea that I would love to see happen and you'll probably have an easier time researching...

Build a device that can interface with ODB port on the car and throw a readout to an LCD screen without need for a computer. That readout could be as simple as a Boost Gauge or speed sensor. Basically you need to learn ODB protocols and then graphically display the readout. Not overly complicated, but sure is fun
Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh and about haldex, I think you will have a very hard time getting the specs.

You may want to use some sort of a sniffer but I would imagine that without proper in/out specs it will be a nightmare.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the link ttrut, I'm gonna try and contact EIP like you said

and hopefully get some better insight on the software aspect. But I'm kind of starting to think that I may be getting in over my head with this one. If the controller doesn't work out, I may do an LCD display to show torque transfer either to each wheel or just front/rear torque biasing.

Quick Reply: A callout to all of the quattro whizzes out there, please help!!!