TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Can a person with absolutely no mechanical skills (ME) install a DV and blindspot mirrors??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a person with absolutely no mechanical skills (ME) install a DV and blindspot mirrors??

I am now convinced I have a faulty DV and also that I NEED the best blind spot solution available....

If I can't accomplish this, will a "regular" non Audi mechanic install these items for me??

Thanks in advance for any input...Kim
Old 04-08-2001, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes...that is if you have some basic tools and don't rush it....

DV...go to the link noted and read thru...if you feel comfortable then you can do...will need a slotted and phillips head screw driver, pair of needle nose pliers, cloth gloves (to protect your hand while plying off the OEM clamps, socket wrench, a very small amount of soapy water (to ease install of DV into hoses)...and no rush. For the blind spot mirror takes two to do and two nylon spatulas (like the ones used to spread dry wall filler in nail holes)...if you want to pursue to mirrors I can 'walk' you thru the process in more detail... anyway try link and tell me what you think...<ul><li><a href="http://members.home.net/eerickso">DV Install</a></li></ul>
Old 04-08-2001, 09:24 AM

Default Michael - Your info for the DV is great! I have decided that the job is "not my cup of TTea" but

have printed out all of the information to see if any of my "guy" friends are up to the task..

I'm sorta mad at myself for not attempting this on my own..but I know me...and well...simply put..I S*CK at this sorta thing...

I will stick to "detailing" the car and leave the mechanical stuff to mechanical people...

Feeling like a girly girl.....Kim
Old 04-08-2001, 09:41 AM

Default I broke one mirror, so did body shop...

My driver's side mirror came out, with difficulty, but intact. Despite following all the instructions, and being very careful, the passenger side cracked when trying to pull it out. Less than a week later I had the car in the body shop to remove a scratch on the passenger door (at the dealer's expense). When I got the car back, I found a factory mirror on the door! The shop's explanation: they broke the mirror removing it to paint the door and had to replace it.

If you do opt to do it yourself, do wear hand and eye protection!
Old 04-08-2001, 09:45 AM

Good Tip! Wouldn't want to draw BLOOD!!! BTW, nice sig.
Old 04-08-2001, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default why not get the dealer to install mirrors at next service? it should cost $10-15 per mirror..

and you will have two good spares when you're done. Audi has a special trim tool for the mirrors. With the proper tools it's a snap. Without you risk paint damage, broken mirror, and worst case damage to mirror holder assembly.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 questions......

When are you planning on doing these 2 things and how close do you live to Denny?
Old 04-08-2001, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, my question. some here no doubt would offer to help

knowing where you and the car are would help. I've done a bunch now myself..
Old 04-08-2001, 11:47 AM

I'm on Long Island....A few? I'm jealous!
Old 04-08-2001, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You shouldn't feel that way Kim....

You have an absolute right to feel that way. I did several installs on my New Beetle (including installing a classic old beetle meep-meep horn, a Wetterauer Chip, PIAA lights, etc) and I am STILL forge-less on my new TT even though I have the part sitting right here. :/

I just don't feel comfortable working on the TT yet. Such an expensive car, the thought of screwing up a hose or God knows what else has me a little freaked. I decided to:

- Wait until I think the DV is failing and then gather my courage.

- Wait until I can meet up with another TT'er who has "been there, done that".

I think a lot just has to do with seeing this machine, realizing how much it is and how much my wife will kill me if I screw it up

I may need a shot of liquid courage

Quick Reply: Can a person with absolutely no mechanical skills (ME) install a DV and blindspot mirrors??