TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

CD Changer Ground Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Changer Ground Issue

Hello everyone,
I think I might have a ground issue with my CD changer and XM receiver for my Concert Radio ('05 3.2L). When the car is off, CD changer and XM radio play fine; turn the volume all the way up during a silent time, and I don't hear anything. When the car is on, there is a ridiculous amount of noise (high-pitch + whine + other electrical stuff) if the volume is turned all the way up...for both the CD changer and XM radio. When I accelerate or decelerate, the whine changes pitch. From what I understand about anything, that is alternator whine, right? Dealer said no, it's a crappy CD changer. Well, it happens with the XM radio, too, so it can't be just the CD changer, right? Please let me know what your thought might be...it's driving me a little crazy! Thanks!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmac172
Hello everyone,
I think I might have a ground issue with my CD changer and XM receiver for my Concert Radio ('05 3.2L). When the car is off, CD changer and XM radio play fine; turn the volume all the way up during a silent time, and I don't hear anything. When the car is on, there is a ridiculous amount of noise (high-pitch + whine + other electrical stuff) if the volume is turned all the way up...for both the CD changer and XM radio. When I accelerate or decelerate, the whine changes pitch. From what I understand about anything, that is alternator whine, right? Dealer said no, it's a crappy CD changer. Well, it happens with the XM radio, too, so it can't be just the CD changer, right? Please let me know what your thought might be...it's driving me a little crazy! Thanks!
On the 180/225 there is a noise suppressor capacitor on top of the head. Not sure about the 3.2, maybe take a look. They are very fragile and easy to break.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hm, I've never even heard about that. Are you talking about inside the circuitry of the headunit? Or somewhere else? Where exactly would that capacitor be, and how could I tell if it was broken? Thanks, again.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Durh

Hm, I've never even heard about that. Are you talking about inside the circuitry of the headunit? Or somewhere else? Where exactly would that capacitor be, and how could I tell if it was broken? Thanks, again.
Well, I just researched the problem a bit more using "suppression capacitor" and found another post that you had also commented on regarding this capacitor. Not anything to do with inside the radio's head unit, I get that now!

As I am not advanced at all working with this car yet, where could I find the capacitor? I have a Bentley manual, but haven't checked it out yet. Any resources you can think that I should visit (3.2L-specific, if it makes a difference)? Thank you so much.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have any information about this noise suppression capacitor? I haven't been able to find anything online about it.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have any information about this noise suppression capacitor? I haven't been able to find anything online about it.
On the 4 cylinder it's on top of of the cylinder head close to coil packs (4). It's black with one brown wire connected to it.

Last edited by AudiMick; 11-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.