TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cheap Mod - convert ash tray into a coin drawer

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Mod - convert ash tray into a coin drawer

I really missed the coin drawer that was on my Honda Accord. So, since I am a non-smoker, I decided to put the ash tray to good use. I found that a converted ash tray makes a good coin drawer. $3.64 worth of black velvet from the local fabric store and some glue was all I needed. I have now driven the car two days after lining the tray with velvet and not heard any coin noise at all.

Process:
Remove the ash tray from the car to work on it in a comfortable setting. Remove the metal cover from the back of the top part of the ash tray with a small screwdriver. Cut a piece of velvet to match the shape of the interior of the ash tray. You have to cut notches out of the corners to get it to fit right. You also need to cut a piece of fabric that matches the underside of the back metal cover that was removed previously. Apply glue to the perimeter and center on the back of the fabric. Push the fabric into the ash tray being sure to tuck it into all of the corners and then wipe away any excess glue from the top perimeter of the ash tray. Glue the second piece of fabric onto the under side of the back metal cover. Let dry over night. Snap the metal top back on. Put the ash tray back into the console of your TT. Load it up with some choice coins. Drive someplace (preferably to Krispy Kreme) and spend that money! Sorry there are no pictures. No digital camera. It is pretty boring to look at anyway.

Afterthoughts:
1. I did feel rather uncomfortable in the fabric store since I was the only guy in there. I felt better though after telling the sales lady what I was buying the fabric for. Yes, she asked.
2. Organized coin thingies are a pain to keep stocked. Throwing coins in a drawer and digging them out when you need them is the manly way to go.
3. I just hope the next owner of the car doesn't put a lit cigarette in there.
Old 10-02-2001, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ash tray, what ash tray? oh you mean that thing under the radio where I keep my detector cord..
Old 10-02-2001, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have radar up there?? ;-)
Old 10-02-2001, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or is that for the Moose detector.....
Old 10-02-2001, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

pics please...
Old 10-02-2001, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My garage door remote opener fits just fine in my ash tray -- no rattles with no mods.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same here
Old 10-02-2001, 09:06 PM

Default Have you noticed an HP gains? . . .

I've heard that converting the ash tray into a coin drawer can add 20hp if it's done right. Apparently it can add as much as 30 if you live within a mile of a train station. Sorry bus stops do not count.

-dave-
Old 10-02-2001, 11:00 PM

I keep both the Garage Door opener and change in that drawer... no rattles when closed.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:04 AM

Default been there, done that, works great - but, used adhesive-backed felt, very easy...

the only hard part is getting the shape right, so I created a paper template first.
after the template fit well-enough, I cut the felt to match and applied it.

Quick Reply: Cheap Mod - convert ash tray into a coin drawer