TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Check out the price of this purse on eBay...and the reserve hasn't even been met yet!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it's been popular since introduction. See my post above.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Birkin's may be the only 'bags' women dig - many pay big $ to get rid of them! :-)
Old 08-25-2001, 12:32 PM

Isn't he the rastafarian accountant type on Futurama???
Old 08-25-2001, 02:07 PM

Default Re: This is actually cheap for a Birkin bag.

Hey, I think that's great that you know about purses. A guy at a company I worked for who was a huge, brawny, Italian techie shocked the hell out of me when he knew all about shampoo because that was his family's business. He was telling me about all the ingredients and what to look for and what to buy. I do say, he had one of the best heads of hair!

So, since you know about these bags, and I just like to look on eBay periodically to see what they are selling for, what's the big friggin' deal? I know it's Hermes, but who are their customers for that?
Old 08-26-2001, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, obviously people with a lot of money. But what I find interesting is why

they buy them. I mean an Hermes is the best purse in the world, but is it 10-20 TIMES as good as Gucci, Fendi, Spade, etc?

I think there are two main reasons people buy. First, some people feel good just by spending money. But there has to be some justifiable reason the thing is expensive or they'd just be proving they could be easily ripped off. Hermes are all hand made, hand stitched. It takes about 20 hours to make a Kelly or a Birkin, and the craftsmen/women go to school for FIVE years to learn how. Only about 1-3 of every 100 skins they buy do they actually use, since they want only perfect ones. So there is some justification for the expense. Many people will pay for the exclusivity, which in turn is justified by the expense of manufacture.

Second, I think there are people who want to associate with the legend. Hermes has such a strong association with movie stars, royalty, etc that people want to grab a bit of that for themselves, despite the expense. E.g., the Kelly bag is named after Grace Kelly (there's an interesting story here too), Jackie O's favorite bag was the Constance and she often carried a Trim, there's a MacPherson bag named after Elle. Maybe people think that by carrying one they either will feel like a star or be mistaken for one. It's a lot like most of the hipster culture in LA or other big cities I guess.

If you're really interested by the background, email me.

PS, want on the list for a Birkin? By the time your name comes up you may actually want it.