TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Chipping a Leased Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2000, 05:07 AM
David Sabot

Default Chipping a Leased Car

What are the implications of chipping a new leased car? Can the dealer find out? Can it be reversed? Any help is appreciated...
Old 02-18-2000, 05:23 AM
Mark B

Default I spoke with my lease company about this (Audi Finance)...

and they said they didn't recommend it, but it was the decsision of the dealer with whom you signed the lease.

Dealer (salesman and service both) said they of course couldn't recommend it either but as long as you keep paying your dues and either buy at the end of the lease or return it to 'stock' condition they didn't care.

This applies to all the aftermarket mods I asked about (different spoilers, chips, H&R, exhaust).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2000, 05:49 AM
Royce Howland

Default Re: Chipping a Leased Car

To the specific, non-subjective points of your question:

1. Yes the dealer can find out if you've chipped a car. A simple physical inspection would give the game away, and there may also be diagnostics that would show the change.

2. Yes chipping can be reversed. Read the archives of this forum (search for "chip" and "socket") and you will see that pretty well every chip vendor out there sockets the ECU. Many (all?) chip vendors will give you back your original chip so you can swap back to stock yourself in a few minutes. However, swapping back to your stock chip to "fool" the dealer isn't a guarantee, since again, a physical inspection will demonstrate that something has been done to the car.

My advice would be to simply ask your dealer straight out what their policy is. I asked mine that very same question this week, and his response was "knock yourself out". In his opinion, if I upgrade the vehicle and then buy it at the end of lease, that's my business. If I walk away from the car leaving some upgrades on it (sport springs, performance exhaust, chip, whatever), that just makes it easier for him to sell it again for a premium, and make a few more bucks since the upgrades didn't cost him a thing. :~)

The scenario I didn't discuss was upgrading the car, then returning it to stock and walking away at the end of the lease. But why would I do that? I don't need to collect loose vehicle parts if I'm not keeping the car...

Royce
Old 02-18-2000, 06:13 AM
LarryTT

Default I chipped my leased car!

I would not ask your leasing company! Why would you want to even suggest that you are tampering with the car? For all you know they keep detailed records and when you go and turn the car in at the end of the lease they will show up with a MAJOR check list made just for you and your car!

The only question I have asked dealers is, what is there policy on modifying the car? I have already had a few dealers tell me point blank, If you change ANYTHING the warranty is Void! I know that is a load of bs! I will not go to those places!

I have already modified my leased TTQ. I have a Garrett Chip, H&R Sport Springs and will be changing to a Borla exhaust in a few weeks. I am not worried about the warranty as I know it HAS to be covered on everything EXCEPT what I have changed! I have a spare ECU and will swap when I need to.

I plan on buying the car at the end, if not sooner and am not worried about the leasing company.

Larry
180TTQ Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 02-18-2000, 07:23 AM
DogsInSpace

Default the $64000 question is............................

you chip your car and the engine blows up the following week for an unrelated reason; does Audi honor the warranty or void it because of the chip?
Anyone out there have the authoritative answer?
Old 02-18-2000, 07:29 AM
LarryTT

Default Re: the $64000 question is............................

It all depends . . .

If you have a spare ECU and the car did NOT throw error codes, highly unlikely, you replace the ECU if you have a spare. Problem is that is fraud!

You would have to take Audi to court to defend yourself because THEY will deny the engine. They will immediately claim the chip blew it up! This has not happened anywhere, except in race conditions with highly tuned chips. To my knowledge a street chip has NOT caused engine damage.

It would also depend on your dealer! The only way for a dealer to know if a Garrett chip is in a car if to actually OPEN the ECU! He has an algorithym chip that hides his chip from the VGA tool! It can't be detected except by visual inspection.

If you have a chip friendly dealer they will do the engine work without batting an eye! If you have an unfriendly dealer they need to PROVE that the chip caused the damage! But first they need a reason to believe that you even have a chip!

MY $0.02

Larry
180TTQ Garrett, H&R Sport Springs
Old 02-18-2000, 07:29 AM
Jenner

Can they prove the chip caused it? And turbos fail on stock 1.8T engines....