TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

To clay or not to clay...please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To clay or not to clay...please help

I am about to Zaino for the first time, and I have a dilemma. Should I definitely use the clay bar, or can I get away without it. I have the Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, and the clay bar. How important is the bar in the overall process? The car is 6 months old, and I live in Houston, Texas, (ie. no road salt, sand, etc). Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2001, 06:10 AM
Elder Member

Default If you have the time, you should probably do it (Larry will give you the best answer)...

but I have gotten very good results by carefully washing and drying (with Dawn) then going right to the Z1 and so on.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would use the claybar just to get all of the current grime off the car...........

it doesn't matter if you have road salt or not, the claybar should be used anyway. There are other reasons why you should use it. You can pass your hand over an area on the car and if it does not feel as smooth as glass, then you need to use the bar. -Doug
Old 05-29-2001, 06:26 AM

Default I agree that you should use it.

The easiest way to use it is to put the soap all over your car, then get the clay bar out and rub it on the car lightly. You don't have to put much pressure to pick up the majority of the grime. When you are done with the clay bar, just do a quick scrubbing with the soap again.

Make sure to flip the bar around a lot to make sure you are using a clean side.

You will be very happy with how smooth your paint feels.

-Ryan E.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:28 AM
Elder Member

Default Since you already own the claybar, you might as well use it!

It will only add about an hour or so to the process. This way you also get to feel and touch every inch of your car! You will find little pieces of dirt that you never knew were there.

The car will come out much cleaner and should be much shinier once you are through with the entire process.

Have fun and enjoy!
Old 05-29-2001, 06:42 AM

I aksed Mr. Zaino about this and he advised to clay. After 6 months, I would clay w/o hesitation
Old 05-29-2001, 06:44 AM

I think I was also worried about doing something wrong and messing something up.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It actually reduced/eliminated some scratches for me..
Old 05-29-2001, 07:20 AM
Elder Member

Default not something you can really do wrong . . .

Just make certain that you tear off a small piece and work it in your hands to get it soft. Always use small pieces so if you drop the clay you only toss out a small piece and not all of it! The reason you throw it away if it hits the ground is the clay picks up rocks and dirt.

Get a small spray bottle and mix up a solution of Z-7 (1 oz) to about 6-8 oz of water. Shake this and then spray it on small 12-18" sq areas at a time as you rub the clay against the paint. Don't go in circles, go in forward backwards movements on all parts of the car facing the sky and up and down movements everywhere else. This is exactly how the rest of the products are applied, except for the Z-6.

If you have any questions just send me an e-mail.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Consider this . . .

<ul><li><a href="http://www.carcareonline.com/overspray_clays.html">http://www.carcareonline.com/overspray_clays.html</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: To clay or not to clay...please help