TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cleaning the MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the MAF Sensor

Okay, I'm gonna try to clean the MAF sensor to fix my boost problem (it still pulls back hard, even under boost setting 4 using the REVO SPS3). I bought this stuff:

CAIG Deoxit / ProGold kit from Radioshack (yes, Radioshack).

Will this be okay? Basically remove the MAF, spray the cleaner on the sensor, let dry overnight and HOPE that my boost problem goes away...?

I still find it odd that I had no problems until just the other day... and I'm not sure why my max boost is still 20 psi under boost setting 4 (would this be MAF related)? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Default could be....if the signal is not strong enough>>>>

and you do not get the flow rate the ECU is requesting from the MAF....it would dial back boost and timing till it reached an appropriate signal.....

Fwiw...if the cleaning does not do it, a new MAF is 60$
Old 07-25-2005, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That'll work, but...>

I'm not sure exactly what your expectations on boost are. 20psi is about all that little K03 can do without making lots of heat and falling out of it's efficiency range...Limp is probably cause you're trying to get too much out of it...Transient spikes over that level (which often are too quick to see on a Boost gauge) may be high enough to hit the limits on your car.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: That'll work, but...>

Yeah, that's the problem. It shouldn't be in the 20s under setting 4 (I dialed it back today to see if that would alleviate the problem). I posted about my car 'stuttering' earlier, and you suggested cleaning the MAF. I'll basically floor it, the car will accelerate and boost fine, and then as it approaches 20, it's like 'bam' and the boost gets knocked down to 10 or so (it's not a gradual drop... it's immediate). And it'll just jump around (as in 'stuttering') from 10-20 psi under hard acceleration. I just cleaned my DV about a month ago. A new MAF sensor was put in a little over a month. But nothing has changed recently (although it's been very very hot here). Maybe the TTDA filter oil made it's way onto the MAF? Anyway, I'll clean it tomorrow and hope that fixes the problem. I don't have a VAG-COM unfortunately.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think what he's saying>>

is that even dialing back the Revo boost setting to 4 (6 was default IIRC) he's still overboosting.

I'm not sure this is a MAF issue, but only real way to rule it out is to substitute in a new one or a known good one. (easier said than done)

My guess is you have a leak somewhere.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Don't clean it if it's only 1 month old>>

more potential to do harm than good. Have you checked for a leak? N75, DV.... you recently were messing with that stuff right. Look at all the hoses carefully. Then look at them again!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think your problem is...>

You're just trying to overdo it. High temps will lower the point at which you'll hit limp mode. Oil from the K&N has nothing to do with this, and I doubt cleaning the MAF will do anything either. Assuming the new MAF is good, you need to just dial it down. YOu can only push a 180 so far....They are far more sensitive to tuning on the edge than the 225's which have a lot of overhead for pushing them pretty hard. YOu should be looking for 18-19 PSI...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Default But Steve, it was running fine then all the sudden started overboosting>>

he's been dialing the boost DOWN but it's still hitting over 20psi!

Is this typical of Revo software? It changes on its own that drastically?

I think he has another issue.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I don't remember the full history here.....>

But if it was running OK at high boost, it got hot and started regularly hitting limp, it was obviously on the edge before. Didn't they change all the REVO setting numbers anyway? Who knows what they mean now. They do have a habit of being occasionally too aggressive requiring a big dial back...(no matter what the number)

With this heat wave going on, expect a lot more of this!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:03 PM

So he dials it back two "notches" from default and it's still overboosting?

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MAF Sensor