TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cleaning the MAF Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could be a screwed program...>

or an SPS3 not working, or a leak in the n75-wastegate line...Who knows at this point..
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I don't remember the full history here.....>

Okay, here's the deal. I've had a Forge 006 DV in my car for about a year. No problems with the DV. I cleaned it a little over one month ago. I had my MAF replaced a little over a month ago, no problems. Then I purchased a TTDA a little over a month ago, no problems. Then about one month ago, I got REVO'd. About one week after getting REVO'd, I bought a devaned MAF housing from Steve. No problems. I installed a boost gauge about two weeks ago to monitor my boost. REVO boost setting 6, timing setting 4, I'd peak at 20 psi and everything was running smoothly. Then out of nowhere, as of two days ago, my car would hit 20 psi, and then get pushed back to 10 psi (very abruptly). If I tried to floor it, it would climb back up to 20 and then just 'stutter' back down to 10 and try to climb back up. This ONLY happens under hard acceleration. So I dialed my boost back to 5, same thing. I dialed it back to 4, same thing. Boost setting 1 is stock, boost setting 6 is performance (default). So I shouldn't even be hitting 20 psi under setting 4 to begin with, and now my car stutters under hard acceleration just as I hit max boost. The most recent thing done to my car was:

Boost Gauge

Before that it was a devaned MAF housing.

My DV is 'swooshing' just fine. I don't hear any hoses leaking. It drives normally when not being pushed hard. I checked all the hoses to my DV (I could check again).

So now I shouldn't clean my MAF?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Could be a screwed program...>

Hmmm... I guess off to the REVO dealer at some point this week. Crap.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK...That's a little clearer...>>

Sounds like the SPS3 isn't doing anything.. Your description of stutter is really limp..if the boost is cutting dramatically. Have you tried dialing it down to stock? Try it and see what happens. I honestly don't think it's a MAF issue.

I remember about the housing now....stock though.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like the best plan... let them tweak the settings to suit your hardware!

I agree w/Steve .... sounds like there's no hardware issue. I wouldn't bother cleaning the MAF.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: OK...That's a little clearer...>>

I can switch back to stock, and boost is capped at 10 psi. The thing is, when dialing back, my average or steady boost does in fact lower. It's only when I'm in 5th gear and I open the throttle does the boost try to climb above 20 psi (under boost setting 4... I've dialed it back to 3 and have to monitor that). I'm stopping by the REVO dealership today to have them look at it. I think my software might be screwed. I don't quite understand how or why the software would be screwed though (and I write software for a living... this is just odd). The only thing I can think of is the weather. This started happening when the weather went from very hot and humid to somewhat pleasant and not humid. Regardless, something is wrong
Old 07-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Rest In Peace

Default it is possible, the ECU dialed back a bit>>.

in the heat...and now that it is cooler, the air is denser and the motor is adapated to heat so it is "overboosting". Either way...that should happen seemlessly....i think stopping by Revo is a good call. IMO
Old 07-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Do you have a Boost machine? and if you do how are your settings?

I made a BIG Boo boo and had my Relieve valve almost all the way open instead of only 1 turn or less. When hitting boost the Boost was vented and the Turbo tried to make up for it and added more boost. Eventually I did hit Limp mode and later discovered my error. I confused on how the valves open and close. The Relieve valve closes Counterclockwise and the Boost Valve closes Clockwise. Once I discovered my stupidity and changed the settings and had the code cleared my car ran GREAT and I have been Limp Mode Free for the last 2 1/2 weeks :-)
Old 07-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Your DV really shouldn't be shooshing to much....

That just means that excessive boost is being vented. Double check the hoses going into the DV as well as the hoses going into the Metal Tube. From this heat and from them already being old my hose on top of the DV valve had cracked and I have heard strange shushing noises.
I cut a piece of hose off and reinstalled the hose. Also the hoses entering the Metal tube showed major signs of fatigue so I fixed the hoses and ever since the car is running better and stronger than ever. No more strange shushing noises and straight inline performance.
Peak boost up to 23 psi and steady boost around 19-20 psi. That is as high as I want to push my little car and it is running excellent.

Did your Revo come with a standard setting?
For my 225HP on the SPS3 switch the Standard performance setting is Number 2 on the first dial not using the second dial.
Are you sure you are using the SPS 3 correctly?
Just a thought...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Default You need to Vag Com it.... It's the only way to be sure.

My car ran like crap and until I had the codes cleared with a Vag Com and adjusted my Boost Machine to the proper settings.

Now no more issues. I think I need some Samco hoses. Or maybe get a 3.2 :-) No Boost to worry about.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the MAF Sensor