TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Clearly Depressed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearly Depressed

My idiot brother decided it'd be funny to write a word into the dust on my car. Now I have a lovely word in my clearcoat. So, the question is, do I use the blood from my brother's body I'm about to dismember as a cleaner, or will a simple polish/wax do the trick? The second question is, what's a suitable punishment for him? I was thinking a payment for time, material, labor, and emotional distress was warranted. Thanks all.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Should be able to buff it out

You should be able to buff it out by hand or use a random orbital polisher with a real mild polish. Or take it to a pro and they should be able to fix it up.

As for your brother, I suggest shaving his head in his sleep, that'll teach him a good lesson without permanent scars.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As long as you cant feel it in the clear coat with your nail...

you should be able to polish/compound it out.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my kids do it on my brilliant black paint all the time...

and i can't get mad at them...i know i should keep it clean.

i buff it out with a porter & cable...use menzerna intensive polish first to get that part out...then klasse all-in-one, then P21s or Pinnacle wax on top.

on occassion, i use Auto-Glym to get the swirls and light scratches out.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 AM

Default What you mean you can't get mad at them? ;-)

Fear is a very effective parenting tool ya know. My kids don't know what I'd do to them if I caught them doing that to the TT, but they know that they don't want to know what I'd do to them. LOL

It's killing me too because the car has been on the lift in the garage for so long the dust is getting thick and I can't roll the car out to wash it. I try not to look at it because it hurts me to see the new paint in that condition. But I know not touching it and doing a proper wash once I get it going is the best way to deal with it now. At least it got a good 3-4 coats of Zaino before taking it's rest. And I'm not sure but I think that the custom paint may be just a bit easier to care for than brilliant black, thank god!

Trent
Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Fabulous

The sad part is that when he did it, I was in the house grabbing all my microfiber towels and carwash equipment to get 'er done. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. His response; "It's just a car." I swear to god we aren't even related.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i just don't...

i do let them know that i don't care for that behavior and they listen and hopefully understand...but again, i love my kids more than the car.

i was going to ask you about your DR project. can't you simply dust it and clay bar it while on the lift? then take the porter & cable and give it a good buff? you should be able to eat off of it...anywhere! LOL.

hope its coming along.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You mean he didn't use his finger to write with?
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Default I hear ya.

I love the kids to death and my bark is worse than my bite.

I probably could dust the car off but I'd rather wait until I can take it outside and give it a nice wet wash. I've never used anything like a california duster before and nothing has touched this paint besides virgin microfiber towels and other dedicated gear. I feel that waiting until I can get it wet and get a nice soapy lather on it to help lift the dust away from the clear coat prior to cleaning it will probably be the best way to go. Looking back I would have covered up most of the car prior to putting it on the lift so it would stay as clean as the day it went up.
I've been careful around the front fender area but I know I've brushed up against it a few times so I hope I haven't scratched anything. And I did give the rear a wash at one point in attempts to take picutres of a new rear valance that didn't work out.
I'm sure it will come out looking just as good as it did when it went in. I try not to think about it though because it does bother me to see it that dusty.

Trent
Old 08-28-2006, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What was the word? You know, so we recognize you.

Quick Reply: Clearly Depressed