TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Clueless...Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clueless...Please Help.

Hey guys how are you? Looks to be either a major issue but who knows. I would rather ask people who genuinely might know rather than be nickel and dimed at the dealership without any knowledge.

I was driving from school to work earlier. I had my car in triptronic *yes laugh if you need lol*. Anyway, my music was loud enough to where I couldn't hear the engine upshifting, I just assumed it was anyway when I was tapping up on the stick. To make a long story short after realizing the car in front of me seem to just continue at the same speed and get much further ahead of me, I turned my music down to realize I was apparently still in second gear when my dash was reading 5th. I threw it into Drive hoping it would catch up and it didnt. I was pressing the gas, engine revving but no movement. I put it back in to triptronic, I tapped down with no downshifting occuring until I finally got in to first and thats when I felt it downshift. I tried upshifting and at this point it just was driving. Still rolling, I was able to pull over to the side, turn my car off, put it in park and turn it back on. I threw it in to drive and it drove. Put it back in to triptronic and it worked.

Year: 2004
Engine Type: 3.2l VR-6
Mileage: 90k+

What could it possibly be? I was thinking the tranny is going or it couldve been a slipped disk which in turn means the clutch is going. Maybe neither??

Thanks for the insight and help.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am afraid you likely won't get much useful input from here. Not many DSG cars on the board, and

it is very new tech, so not much related experience to draw from.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Default :-\ ......

And Im 2000 miles out of warranty. So i'm guessing I'm pretty much screwed if it is anything I think it is...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might wanna get that fluid checked or replaced.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Any indication that it is slipping or making any grinding noises?

I'd be really tempted to say that the computer lost track of where it was and keep driving to see if happens again. I'd keep the music off for a couple of weeks so that you can listen to the tranny.
The mechanics won't be able to do much for you if they can't reproduce the problem.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DSG sometimes has a mind of its own . . .

This will probably be of little comfort since it's not really an explanation, but sometimes the DSG, aka, S tronic, will do strange things that cannot be duplicated (especially when at the dealer), or will not recur. On a couple of occasions, mine has totally refused to engage from a stop or a rolling start (engine wouldn't rev either); hasn't happened again in a year, now. Some VW Mk V R32 owners are reporting a DSG "hiccup" that sounds similar to your experience. I believe a couple of Mk2 TT owners have had S tronic issues, too. You might want to check out those other forums to see what solutions have been tried. Best have it checked by the dealer, but unless it begins to occur frequently or there's a code, you may just have to chalk it up to a DSG foible.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Thanks man...

You have eased the tensions a little...for now at least until I get off of work and get stuck on the highway in North Jersey! lol....no wait, that is NOT a laughing matter. >
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM

Default No grinding really...

I mean Ive driven manuals since I got my license when I was 16 *Im 22 now* and I mean unless its in a lower gear than it should be with incredibly low rev, no grinding occurs. Now so far as it slipping, this is my first time experience with this kind of car/motor or what have you. Not to mention, its my first time with a car of this kind of mileage so Ive NEVER had a clutch slip so if it was, I might not know exactly what its like as of yet.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Put the DSG in manual and do some acceleration in 4th.

If it's slipping the engine speed will increase faster than the road speed. If its happening it is usually easy to feel in a high gear pull.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Computer gets fooled occasionally - turn off engine - restart - reboot :&gt

Quick Reply: Clueless...Please Help.