TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cluster issue...(LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster issue...(LONG)

Here is my recent cluster issue that just got worse. Almost 3 weeks ago I sent my cluster off to BBA-reman. They called me a few days after they got and told me that the CPU was bad and needed to be replace. They had the order the part, so that took nearly a week to get. Once they got the CPU they started their repair and said that it would be sent out the next day. This was last Thursday. I was heading out of town for the long weekend, so I wasn't in a rush to get it back that weekend. So no problem I should have it when I get home on Monday. Well I get home on Monday and no package and I received no notification that it was sent like they said I would. Tuesday morning I call them and they tell me that the version software that in my cluster is a newer version than they have and the only way to get it is off another cluster with the same version. Which of course they do not have, and do not know when they would get it. Fine just send it back to me and I will take it to the dealer to get repaired. I get a shipping notification that they shipped it ground, so I called them to find out why they were not sending it overnight air like they agreed to previously. Luckily it had not gone out yet, so they change the shipping to overnight and it showed up this evening...... Here is the fun part!!!!!

I re-install it and when I insert the key and turn the ignition on the cluster is completely inop!!! The milage does not appear, the speedometer is stuck at 31 mph, the temp & fuel guage do not move at all and the instrument lighting doesn not come on when the lights are turned on. So then I try to start the car, and it started and then immediately died. I break out the VagCom and get 12 fault codes.

12 Faults Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
00849 - S-contact at Ignition/Starter Switch (D)
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
00667 - Ambient Temperature Signal
00779 - Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2)
35-00 - -
01176 - Key
07-00 - Signal too Low
01176 - Key
65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
01314 - Engine Control Module
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01304 - Radio
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

So I go ahead and clear the codes which no allows the car to run, however still nothing working on the cluster. I do not want to even try to drive the car because I am not sure how this will effect the miles on the car. I recorded what milage was on the cluster before I removed it and sent it to them. No I will have to have the car towed to the dealer and have them repair it, hopefully without any error to my mileage. Does anyone know if this information is stored anywhere else besides the cluster cpu?

Thanks for listening to my delima. Now I have to talk to BBA-reman tomorrow and see how they screwed this up so bad. Just so you know the cluster was not completely inop before I sent it off. The only problems it had were the fuel guage was showing fuel level to high, and both the fuel and temp guages would stick when the igniition is just turned on. A light tap to the cluster or dash caused them to start working. Plus a few of the display lines were not working. Any suggestion on what to do next besides what I am planning on doing by taking it to the dealer for repair.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dang that sucks.

I just had a cluster replaced, and ironically, I died WHILE AT THE DEALER for another repair. (They of course claimed they had nothing to do with it. It was working fine when I dropped off the car.)

When I got the car back, the odometer was blank. The new cluster they put in had the correct mileage (rounded down to nearest 100). So they must have been able to get it from somewhere...

Good luck, that's a tough situation.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Rottsa ruck...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You are aware that dealer "repair" means replacement of the cluster, right?

Sounds like you may have no other option. It does sound like BBA could have handled this better, but with ALL the versions of clusters that Audi puts out, I bet it is a nightmare to keep their work straight...

Good luck on your resolution.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Thanks...the timing really sucks since I am leaving the country for 2 weeks

on a business trip next week. So getting to the dealer might have to wait another 3 weeks. I do not want to have my car sitting at the dealer for two weeks outside in the elements....plust they only leave about 2" between each car when they park them on the lot. I will report back with the outcome once everything is fixed.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Default yeah, I know they will have to replace it. It would have been fine if it had come

back to me the way it was sent to them. At lease I could have driven the car and got it fix once I returned from my trip in Nov.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing we can do. You need to work this out with BBA-Reman. Man, they screwed up.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:10 PM

Default No kidding, I had not heard of anyone having a problem with them....guess it is just my luck

that I would be the first one. Oh well, all I can do now is just get it replaced and move on. I will be speaking with them tomorrow, becuase of their actions I now have to have my car flatbedded to the dealer. Unfortunantely this will be it's second trip on a flatbed.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, that sucks. So you and Corey haven't had much luck with BBA reman.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Default yeah, but at least Corey's didn't come back worse then when he sent it....

I will call BBA and the dealer tomorrow to figure out how I will proceed. The car will definently have to be put on a flatbed to get to the dealer, and I don't think that is something I should have to pay for since the car ran fine before they screwed the cluster.

Quick Reply: Cluster issue...(LONG)