TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Coilovers question. Choosing between the V-maxx and Eibach Prostreet Coilovers. Vote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bet you'd be pretty dissapointed if i was to buy same quality/capability coilovers for 1/2 the price

;-)

...really, what im trying to figure out here is WHO ARE THOSE V-Maxx? I need someone to confirm the info that i have. So far no luck.

I see a few people have those on vortex board.

Nobody here, eh?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ftw!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default especially if you have 19" wheels. helps.

its a much better ride than PSS9s with 19" wheels.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy whatever you want, I just prefer to buy a product with a fair amount of good reviews

I went the Bilstein/ Eibach route, I use my car everyday and having a good balance of comfort and handling is important. Bilstein and Eibach is a proven set up, it is essentially what the factory uses on the TT quattro sport in Europe. That is why I bought it.

If I wanted coilovers I would buy KW. Simply because they have a good rep and are used by a lot of people and I've driven a few cars with them. I could probably save money and go with an lesser known brand and get a great suspension too, but I prefer to know what I'm getting into before I spend the money installing it and possibly being unhappy because it wasn't what I expected.

Don't take it personally that people have doubts about suspensions we have little or no experience with. Remember, you are decreasing comfort for performance and aesthetic gains, every time you go over a bump and wish you had compression and rebound adjustment, I doubt you will be saying I'm glad I saved so much money. The novelty of having a low and stiff car wears off quickly.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You don't necessarily lose comfort without the rebound and damping control

The H&Rs are only height adjustable and they ride better than my bilstein/eibach combo did.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanx, well i'm not totally comfortable buying the v-maxx either. Will Probably go with...

Eibach Prostreet Coilover suspension. Can get those a little cheaper as well.

Think those are any good at least? I read those migh be even better than H&R? But not too much information on those either...

Any inputs appreciated.

Never took it personal, i got what i asked for, an opinion! ;-)

Thnx,

-Naz
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd... (the case for Bilsteins) adjustable dampers inevitably require

larger, more complex internal components to achieve adjustability. These take up room inside the damper, at the expense of available travel. I've run both Koni rebound adjustable Sports and the in-house constructed 2-way adjustable KW's in their V3's. In both cases approx 25mm of compression travel is sacrificed to accomodate the adjustable pistons and valve bodies. As a result, the fronts bottom out frequently, the Konis with a BANG!... the KW's "bounce"... This I find VERY uncomfortable. I removed and sold both systems, returning to Bilsteins in each case. The non-adjustable Bilsteins use double digressive valving. In effect they adjust themselves dynamically to road conditions and to a range of spring rates with no sacrifice to compression travel. My car is lower now than it's ever been, using Bilstein Sports. It rides very nicely and NEVER bottoms. H&R C/O's use custom valved and shortened Bilsteins, and have the same advantages. Their rear spring problems long ago resolved, IMO they're the best balanced and most durable C/O's money can buy for the TT.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What do you think of Eibach Prostreet Coilover suspension kit?

You seem like you know what and how some of the set ups are like and tried a few. Ever heard of / seen the Eibach Prostreet Coilovers? Any input about these at all?

TIA
Old 10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have no experience with them...

everything I've read on them is positive

but for reasons I don't understand their C/O's have gotten little or no use in the TT community

Their Sport Springs are in wide use however, and are dead reliable

Sorry, not much help...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for that much.

'nuff said. All i read on those was positive as well.