TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Concerned over Audi TT quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my 2nd TT had 50k on the coupe, 20k on roadster great cars !!!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's one of the best made cars you can buy, I say this based on my history of working on many cars

and comparing that with working on the TT and other Audis. I would buy an Audi if they provided 1/3 the warrantee; with the warrantee I see no problem for you. JIM
Old 04-25-2002, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your comments!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:21 AM

Default I currently have a completely stock 225 Quattro coupe, and I have had excellent

experiences. My dealership (Anderson-Behel/Stevens Creek Porsche Audi in San Jose, CA) has been wonderful both in the purchase and continued care of the car. My car is well-made, beautiful, and fun to drive, either for performance on the curvy roads or just down the street.

The one thing I have not liked about the stock car is the OEM diverter valve. I replaced mine early on with an aftermarket part - a really simple procedure - and was very happy until the thing blew a couple of weeks ago. Now I have the current version of the OEM part in there again, and I must say that I liked the performance of the car better with the aftermarket part, so I'm looking forward to receiving my replacement from AWE, who stood behind their valve.

FWIW, my own experience has been excellent with this car, and I'm happy every day that I bought one. Ihope you get one too so you can enjoy this experience.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mid to late 01 and 02 quality is MUCH improved over earlier models

and remember ALOT of people on this forum has early build cars and as such have experienced more than their fare share of problems. Unfortunately it takes about 1.5 model years for VW/Audi to work out all the bugs. There are several redesigned items which have replaced defective items in my 00 TTQ.

As for the suspension and modifications - have you driven the car yet? What are your expectations? I would make choices on whether or not the car needs to be modified or not based upon your opinion. Everyone has different expectations and uses for their cars.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's interesting what you said about BMWs, I am not knocking them but I have many friends

...and relatives that own BMWs so I've had a lot of exposure to them. I see many issues that are no different than the things we see in Audis. Malfunctioning electrics is one common problem and more than a few acquaintances have had a rude awakening when their BMW needed an electrical component replaced off warrantee. A very close friend and I were driving in his 2002 540i last month when the pop out cup holder broke off in his hand, this is just like the TTs glove box handle issue. The point is that all cars have issues especially with today's highly complex systems.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:43 AM

Default I have had ZERO problems that were not owner-induced...

...and my service experience has been great. I think part of what you're reacting to is the "squeaky wheel" phenomenon; i.e., people are more inclined to post, "Hey, my Oscillation Overthruster is totally hosed and my service rep raped me when I complained about it!" than "Hey! 241 days and *still* no problems!" I imagine if you visited similar forums you'd find the same principle at work. IMHO, of course.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love the car. Glad we bought it. Just a little disappointed in the service area

In the first 12 months we had 2 paid for scheduled services (5K and 10K). Both took >1 day because of other warranty problems.

Had the Turbo replaced, a $1200 headlight replaced. Had several minor warranty claims. Always required at least 2 trips - 1 to diagnose, 1 or more to fix.

No Saturday hours and no eve hours (service closes at 5pm - last appt is 2 pm) makes it difficult to get into service without losing work hours. How many days must I take off to have the car fixed?

Service advisor attitude as a rule was p!ss poor as a rule. 7:00 am and I don't even get a 'good morning'- I get a 'Whatz the matter this time?'. Just fills my heart with joy!

A lot of drama for a $43,000 car I think. I know that others here have had other more major complaints. I feel lucky actually.

Compared to my 92 Accord, in the first 12 months I had 3 or 4 oil changes. in the first 24 months I had 7 or 8 oil changes, maybe a set of wiper blades.

I did put in a forge DV after 2 OE ones failed. The dealer put in a 3rd and it seems better. Still have the OE one in now. May or may not put the forge back in if this works. Other than that, it is more or less stock. No drama in the last 3K mi.

Oh yeah, the windows DO have a great feature, at random times the windows will roll down instead of up when you shut the door. Pretty neat. Other than that and the occasional alarm malfunction, it is a joy.

Car=good, service=fair to poor IMO.

Paul S
Old 04-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Elder Member

These are my thoughts. I'd recommend an '02 to anyone. A used '00 I'd avoid.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 AM

Default Re: It's interesting what you said about BMWs, I am not knocking them but I have many friends

You are so right!!

Quick Reply: Concerned over Audi TT quality