TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Concert I, Concert II...? Just not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Concert I, Concert II...? Just not sure...

Hey all!

Got a 2002 Audi TT quattro. The PO took out the stereo, and I just want to install the stock radio. I took out the ipod adapter and Audi 6 disc CD changer. Noticed there are only TWO plugs there with wires going to them.

The question (finally), is which radio do I need? I hear the concert, and then also the concert II.

I just want to plug it in and go, and not install an aftermarket radio.

Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Pretty sure yours is the Concert II. If you have Vagcom you should be able to find out if the car has the CanBus which means it will be a Concert II. Funny thing is, the plugs are the same for both radios, the Concert II will work in a Concert I car somewhat but without the Canbus, it won't dim with the headlight switch, won't control a CD Changer or Phatnoise player, and will shut off after 1 hour and will have to be turned off and back on for operations. 2002 is suppose to be the first year of the Canbus unless somehow your car is a very early '02, check your build date.

Last edited by hahnmgh63; 02-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks! I will try to find someone locally (Denver Colorado) who has a vagcom. I need to reset my airbag light, and recalibrate my fuel gauge while I am at it.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by levdeb
Thanks! I will try to find someone locally (Denver Colorado) who has a vagcom. I need to reset my airbag light, and recalibrate my fuel gauge while I am at it.
There have been a couple of people here recently who have got in a "world of hurt" with this.

The wiring on the TT changed every year it seems and in addition you have to deal with external amps and potential a Bose setup.

There are differences between coupe and roadster in addition to the way the rear speakers are wired.

Once you know what you should have and can re-create it you will need to use VAG.com to program the concert I/ II to match the actual configuration.

I also suggest you get access to a Bentley manual as the wiring is fairly complicated.

Like the previous poster said you need Can-bus for Concert II. If you have only two plugs it's likely that the rear speakers are not wired to the head unit. They are probably driven from the amp in the trunk. The amp is fed by the head unit.Only the Front signals go to the amp.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has 2002 TT with concert II

Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Pretty sure yours is the Concert II. If you have Vagcom you should be able to find out if the car has the CanBus which means it will be a Concert II. Funny thing is, the plugs are the same for both radios, the Concert II will work in a Concert I car somewhat but without the Canbus, it won't dim with the headlight switch, won't control a CD Changer or Phatnoise player, and will shut off after 1 hour and will have to be turned off and back on for operations. 2002 is suppose to be the first year of the Canbus unless somehow your car is a very early '02, check your build date.

Hi, hahnmgh63
I just upgraded the cassette concert unit on my 01 tt with a concert II cd player(used). Remove the old one and plug in the new was pretty easy except a brown wire that there is no place to connect to the new unit.(I didn't connect it)
The radio works but... somehow when I switch on the headlight of the car the bottons of the stereo dont come on.
Like you said it wont dim with the headlight but it does dim by it self when dark, it doesn't send any information to the instrument cluster display and IT DOES work with the cd charger.

My knowlege in electronics and radios is pretty low and I have no idea what is a canbus or vagcom...

How can I make it works?

I already ordered a brand new one(still waiting on it) and returning the used one since the different in price was only $30...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default interesting...

So, I just happened to be interviewing a woman for our tv show, and she actually had an Audi Concert radio just sitting on the shelf. She had an upgraded stereo put in her A4, and this was just sitting there.

Anyway, I bought it from her for $60. It had the code written it.

I plugged it in to the TWO plugs that were in my TT. There are only TWO. As soon as I did, the CD changer in the back started loading up.

I entered the code, and it came right on. WOO HOO!

However, just like the last poster, everything works perfectly, except at night the buttons are not lit up. The LCD works, the CD player works, the front speakers work (there are no rears installed, which I am being told is not unusual). But no lights at night.

Also, its doesn't turn off with the car, but I can fix that if it becomes an issue.

I've not driven it over an hour (We have a BMW and 911 as our daily drivers), so not sure if it stays on after an hour.

Thanks all!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So, I just happened to be interviewing a woman for our tv show, and she actually had an Audi Concert radio just sitting on the shelf. She had an upgraded stereo put in her A4, and this was just sitting there.

Anyway, I bought it from her for $60. It had the code written it.

I plugged it in to the TWO plugs that were in my TT. There are only TWO. As soon as I did, the CD changer in the back started loading up.

I entered the code, and it came right on. WOO HOO!

However, just like the last poster, everything works perfectly, except at night the buttons are not lit up. The LCD works, the CD player works, the front speakers work (there are no rears installed, which I am being told is not unusual). But no lights at night.

Also, its doesn't turn off with the car, but I can fix that if it becomes an issue.

I've not driven it over an hour (We have a BMW and 911 as our daily drivers), so not sure if it stays on after an hour.

Thanks all!
Assuming that you put a Concert I into a car wired for a Concert II.

Concert I was for 98-2000 A4. They never used Concert II in the A4.

That's why the lights on the display don't work. The signal to turn on the stereo lights is sent over the CAN-bus.And Concert I has none.

There usually are rear speakers , however they are driven by the front signal and split off on the amp. So the fader won't work but you should have sound from all.

The radio is setup by Vag.com if you move the stereo from the A4 to the TT you have some major mismatches of the setup.

Bose/ speaker configuration is all setup by Vag.com . Your other problem is that you have a K-line diagnostics radio and a Canbus diagnostics car.

Quite the conundrum!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmmm, I may be wrong about her car. It could be an A6. But anyway, thanks for the response!

A friend came over to clear codes with his Vag.com. The radio did a diagnostics test, and nothing came up. However, we were more concerned about adjusting the fuel gauge (1/4 tank off), and the check engine light.

Since everything works, except night time buttons, is there anything else that can "go wrong" with having this in there?

I know there are no rear speakers since the woman who gave me this car had installed a box in the back, and just bypassed the rear amp, CD changer, and everything. I peeked back there to make sure.

It all sounds great, keeps the memory, and plays tapes and CD's. I figure for $65, its not horrible if thats all thats wrong.

Thanks again!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm, I may be wrong about her car. It could be an A6. But anyway, thanks for the response!

A friend came over to clear codes with his Vag.com. The radio did a diagnostics test, and nothing came up. However, we were more concerned about adjusting the fuel gauge (1/4 tank off), and the check engine light.

Since everything works, except night time buttons, is there anything else that can "go wrong" with having this in there?

I know there are no rear speakers since the woman who gave me this car had installed a box in the back, and just bypassed the rear amp, CD changer, and everything. I peeked back there to make sure.

It all sounds great, keeps the memory, and plays tapes and CD's. I figure for $65, its not horrible if thats all thats wrong.

Thanks again!
If you can borrow the VAG.com again check the coding.

This page is pretty useful.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html

Quick Reply: Concert I, Concert II...? Just not sure...