TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertable Top Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertable Top Repair

This post will give a limited description on how to repair the issue that plagues convertible tops which is the rear glass disconnects from top itself. From my research, the best options that I have found on the Internet are using an adhesive and/or purchasing a new top.

Neither of these options are ideal. Adhesives simply lacks the real gripping strength needed for a long term solution. Purchasing a new top does completely solve the problem, but the cost is quite prohibited ($1800 - $3500).

After viewing our options, my father and I came up with another solution. We both realized in order to provide the strength needed to support the glass and allow for the top to be retracted was going to need more than what an adhesive could provide. We decided to use a system that utilizes stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers. This would give us the structural integrity that we desired. The only real issue would be its appearance, which admittedly would look “rigged” together. My father found a simple part that cleans up the appearance very nicely, which is a cheap black plastic hinged screw cover.

Take a look at the photos and see what you think.

What you will need:

1. #6 Stainless steel nuts a bolts. I believe the ones we used were 3/4” long.
2. #6 Hinged screw covers
3. #6 Lock washers
4. #6 Flat washers
5. Black RTV silicone adhesive and sealant. (Black looks better than clear)
6. Power drill with very small drill bit
7. Exerciser ball with air pump
8. Plastic strip used to align bolts
9. A willing friend who is willing help
10. Measuring tape
11. Electical tape
12. Screw driver

Steps.

The first thing you must to is to get the rear glass back into place. To do this, the best product we found was using Pro Seal's RTV. Its cheap and easily available at any big box home improvement store. You are also going to need an inflatable exercise ball.

Deflate the ball and place it in the rear bay where the top folds into. Also take the tension off of the top by releasing the front latches. You want to do this to assist with initial adhesion. Now, apply RTV to fabric material that is adhered to the glass. Work around the entire perimeter of the material attached to the glass.

Once the RTV has been applied, your trusty friend will need to hold the glass in place while you pump the ball up. The exercise ball will be used to keep the glass in places while the RTV dries. Continue to pump the ball up until the glass is secure, and allow 18-24 hours for ample curing time. Also do your best get the window back into its original position, I realize this is easier said than done.

After the time has passed, deflate the ball and remove it. Retrieve your power drill and find the smallest bit you can. It needs to be much smaller than the bolts you plan to use. You are going to use it drill pilot holes into the top. My advice before you start cutting holes into your car's top is to find the find the center line of the car, and mark it with black electrical tape. Use that line to determine where the rest of your bolts are going to be as well.

Once you have determined, marked, and double checked your work its time to run a pilot hole for the bolts. Once again, call your trust friend back over. Have them press against the top from the inside of the car while you carefully drill into the top and the material connected to the glass. On the outside, place the bolt through the cap, and slowly drive it in using a screw driver. On the inside once its available place the bolt through the plastic strip, washer, nut, and lock nut on bolt then slowly tighten ever thing up. Once this is complete, snap down the hinged top on the cap. Repeat this process until you are finished with all bolts.

For this point, use a straight blade razor to clean excess RTV off of the glass. After than admire your work and watch for leaks. What is great about this system is it allows you to remove the bolts if you need to at some point. This is a major advantage over rivets, which allows could have been used.

Anyways, tell us what you think. Let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to answer them.
Attached Images      
Old 03-17-2013, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i work on convertable tops and that is one of the most amateur ghetto repair jobs i have ever seen. you should have just cleaned both sufaces top and glass and re-glued it with a window urethane.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by frozen-stitches
i work on convertable tops and that is one of the most amateur ghetto repair jobs i have ever seen. you should have just cleaned both sufaces top and glass and re-glued it with a window urethane.
Well Frozen Stiches,

If you are as great at repairing convertible tops as you claim, I believe the world would just love to see your work. In fact, there is such a medium for you to do so on this forum. Clearly you know how to utilize it for trolling.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my rear window was leaking to.. i fixed it with this stuff called rhino glue... supposed to be super strong. and the only thing i could find in my garage to put pressure on the window was a wheel barrow tire haha. Your excersize ball was a much better idea haha
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by frozen-stitches
Frozen-stitches is right. I just cleaned off the glass and fabric then used some window urethane and held it tight using some heavy duty industrial magnets on each side like a clamp. Still water tight and holding 4 years later.