TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Convertible top/rear window seam problem. Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call Audi USA - There has been failures on new cars as well as older ones. I think it's a defect

I am having the same issue now with my 2003 Audi A4 convertible. My TT never had this issue. I talked to Audi USA, and my dealer. They are saying they will do nothing about it. Log a complaint with Audi corporate at 800-FOR-AUDI. The more people that log this issue and complain about it, the more chance we'll have in getting assistance on the issue. Unfortunately, my top was really bad and the rear glass fell inward while I had passengers in the back. It only dropped a half an inch, but imagine what could have happened! I logged a complaint with NHTSA as well. Hopefully, Audi will realize that the manufacturer where they are getting these tops are defective. I spoke to my local top guy, who used urethane Caulk to do a patch job said it will only hold a couple weeks, then start leaking and splitting again. He said he's done 3 for our local dealership in the past year on A4's and TT's. Smells like a defect to me, warranty coverage or no warranty coverage.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Call Audi USA - There has been failures on new cars as well as older ones. I think it's a defec

Sorry to hear about your top. My car is currently at Vision VW in Reading, PA. I took the car up there last Thursday (18May2006). The field rep looked at it and authorized the repair. It's a HUGE expense to repair if not covered under the factory warranty. The number I got was $8K. I only have 32K miles on my car. If I owned the car, I'd probably try and go somewhere other than the dealer. I'm sure you could get it repaired for a lot cheaper than at the dealer.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Convertible top/rear window seam problem. Need advice!

i have the same problem. i have a 2002 TTQTRO with 38k miles. i tried using the 3m product and its pretty messy. i also used an epoxy based silicon type of glue that you mix the two liquids and it forms a sort of paste. it lasted for about a month at most. I live in miami and the heat seems to melt it. i took it to the dealer and they want to replace the whole top and say that it is the only solution. the top is in perfect condition. i sent a complaint letter to audi and they have not yet responded. it is definitely a defect. its just glued in!