TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cost estimate for replacing head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost estimate for replacing head gasket?

From all the symptoms I *think* the head gasket is blown and needs replacing. No coolant leak, yet low on coolant (I'm going to have the car towed to a repair shop Monday morning in case I'm leaking into the cylinder, I don't want to hydrolock...IF this is the issue, that is)...sweet/salty smell, white smoke from exhaust.

I won't SUGGEST a head gasket failure to the repair shop, but would like to be emotionally and financially prepared for a repair like this.

Anyone go through this, and can lend an estimate? Let's assume no cracks or warping of the head...and let's assume it is the head gasket and not something else, for now..

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if that's ALL you do, just pull the head and replace the gasket >

you might get it done for somewhere between a thousand and fifteen hundred. Seems like its a ten-hour job for a shop, plus parts. Will you also do the timing belt, etc, and maybe any other work - turbo, rods, and the like?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well, I still need it to be diagnosed ... >>

Might not be the head gasket. So far from everything I've read, and doing a differential diagnosis with some peers (yea, I watch a lot of House, hehe) it seems that it's the gasket.

If I brought it to a shop, I'd have them repair what needs repairing plus the TB (since it would all have to come off anyway, right?). Also, check for warping and cracking...

If I did it myself, it would be a two week project and I'd end up doing timing belt (w/ water pump etc), replace the PCV while it's all ripped apart, whatever else. But, I don't trust my skill level to be able to pull the head and replace the gasket myself. The Bentley, my survival manual, only talks about the head cover from what I can tell. Plus, I don't know much about checking for warping, cracks, or the general state of the rest of the internals. I would love to save the money but without guidance on a procedure like that, I would be too afraid to undertake it alone and cause damage..Know what I mean?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the head gasket seems very unlikely unless you overheated the engine >

somewhere in it's life - these are pretty bulletproof engines if they're taken care of.

All of which means, may need to deck the head or the block if that's really the problem. When TransporTT gets back from TTW, he'll be able to give you some 'fix' advice on various gasket options to maybe save yourself that effort - he's pulled his maybe half a dozen times in the last 3 or 4 months.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hopefully it's not THAT serious... :(

I wish I had more of a place to diagnose it myself. My apartment complex frowns upon such actions though. My boss would love to help me rip the head off though.

In the meantime, I'll have it flatbedded down to my shop for diagnostics, and then make a decision from there.

It's not a VW/Audi specific shop but they do most services, and are ASE certified, so they give me a pretty good feeling.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default find a good VW/Audi shop

they'll know more and be able to cut to the chase more quickly.