TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

As the cost of obtaining hps and nice design becomes easier to obtain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As the cost of obtaining hps and nice design becomes easier to obtain...

What will happen to the role of mid to high priced cars like the TT? I mean, I have buddies who mock my TT with their higher hps vehicles for lower prices..but their cras were always less attractive.

Now, we have cars like the triburon from Hyndai starting at 17K with a 180 hp version that looks...well... OK for its price. Nissan will have their version of the TT for 24K...caddilac etc.

I KNOW hps are not everything, but these days the TT seems to be getting its *** whipped, and AUDI seems complacent with the 180 or 225 version 4 cylindar turbo engines.

Someone on this group once mocked me for saying I bought the TT for its looks without knowing what was inside the engine. He said that I should have bough the car for its performance and engine...well now I have studied up and know all about the TT and its specs. So yes the TT is still the nicest looking car on the market, but performance wise for the price...this is questionable to me now.

What are your thoughts on this issue and how do you feel when you are driving a sports car (assuming stock) that can barely hold its own on the road to less expensive imitations?
Old 04-07-2002, 02:38 PM
Elder Member

Default As long as I stay out of my friend's S4's I don't want more HP. As soon as I drive a chipped S4 I

go HP crazy.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Take the tiburon out on the highway at 70mph

and race it in ur TT...say bye bye to any comparison between the two cars
Old 04-07-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Sports Cars are like people...

There will always be some that are faster (unless you count Ferrari & Lamborgini as options)
There will always be some that cost less(and MORE)
The fun is in the *sport*... Driving!
The *pride* is in what YOUR Vehicle is to you, either appearance or performance or both, it doesn't matter.
Get a motor cycle if you want the best VALUE of speed and cost... otherwise - ENJOY the TT's!
Old 04-07-2002, 02:48 PM
rbl
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Am planning to purchase soon...was told the TT is like a ...

beautiful chick who's got nothing inside (up there). I suppose the Subaru Outback would then be a like smart athletic girl, like those women on the soccer team.

I heard the same analogy used for boating. Smart athletic girls go sailing, trailer-trash blondes go for power boats.
Old 04-07-2002, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not so sure...the Hyundai's got displacement over the 1.8t and thats what counts in rollons.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:02 PM

Default R U sure it was a 2003 V6 181 hp version? Even so my point was us TTrs are no longer the only.....

show on the road. Not that I'm an elitist...just saying that there are some nice cars coming out that have emulated the TT's styling but who have also meet or beat the TTs engine for less $$...even the new Infinite G35 starts under 30K for over 300hps...

I love my TT don't get me wrong, just posing some food for thought
Old 04-07-2002, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm saying

that a lot of cars with similar hp numbers as the TT are very different than any german car. German cars shine in highway acceleration...so if you want to make ur friends shut up, 'race' one of their 'fast' cars on the highway and you'll probably win.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, if displacement is everything, how come a Cobra is so slow from a roll??
Old 04-07-2002, 03:20 PM

the TT is competetive with stage three kit..

Quick Reply: As the cost of obtaining hps and nice design becomes easier to obtain...