TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

cracked front sway (stabilizer) bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, it sounds like you might have enough for a case.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer rep claims that recall only affected "control arms" ...

But I'm looking at the recall announcement right now and it says:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT STABILIZERS IN FRONT DRIVE AUDI TT'S AND THE FRONT AND REAR STABILIZERS IN AUDI TT'S EQUIPPED WITH QUATTRO DRIVE. A MODIFIED CONTROL ARM WILL BE INSTALLED IN FRONT TOGETHER WITH FIRMER SHOCK ABSORBERS IN FRONT AND REAR. IN ADDITION AUDI WILL INSTALL A REAR SPOILER.

Looks to me like the control arm (singular) will be replaced along with new stablizers, front and rear.

Anyone have this recall work done and can verify whether or not the stabilizer bars were replaced ?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Elder Member

Default i think some may have their old sway bars still...check with those that swapped with H&R or

Neuspeed swaybars.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its NOT the rubber bushing..

Its the plastic sleeve that surrounds the sway bar. I have proof of this from my old sway bar where you can clearly see the plastic sleeve cracking away from the sway bar. When this happens the rubber surrounding the sleeve makes the creaking noise. I got an OEM sway bar from ebay for $90 then I got an independent Audi mechanic to change my sways for $130. I am totally creak free now.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Will a sway bar form a Jetta fit a our cars?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Default might be covered by old recall ...

I called the dealer and asked him if that old recall that modified the suspension and added the spoiler would include sway bar replacement. He said no, just control arms.

But when I look at the recall announcement, it says:

"In order to enhance the Audi TT's handling under conditions like those described above, Audi will replace the front stabilizers in front-wheel drive Audi TTs, and the front and rear stabilizers in Audi TTs equipped with quattro all-wheel drive. A modified control arm will be installed in front together with firmer shock absorbers in front and rear. In addition, a rear spoiler will be installed."

I called the dealer back and read the above over the phone to him. He said he's going to "look into it".
Old 01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

don't do it - just upgrade or else find a used one.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Losing those mk1 control arms would be harsh, and I know $700 is harsh.

Consider an independent shop, I'd think you could get that done for under $500 but it is a pain in the ****. If it was warmer out I'd trade you my stock sway bar plus my mk2 control arms and some $$$$ for your mk1 control arms. Then I'd just go with an aftermarket sway bar.

Having the recall done will change the feel of your car quite a bit. If you're not an aggressive driver you may not notice much and the refresh to the sways and shocks might feel good to you. But many people regret losing those early pre-recall control arms.

Trent
Old 01-17-2007, 12:17 PM

Default I'm only aggressive with speed, not handling

I used to drive my car daily but since moving to Chicago I only use it for vacations and visiting friends, about every 2 weeks at the most frequent, with the vast majority of the time spent on major highways. No challenging driving, pretty much just flat and straight.

I don't really want to take the time to deal with the car problem in any other way. Fast and free sounds good to me. I might not even notice the difference in handling.

I'm still waiting for the call back from the dealer. They need to understand that if they go ahead and do the recall mods, if they attach the spoiler I'm going to rip it off and shove it up ................. !!!!

Should I tell them I want the current control arms returned to me undamaged ?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM

Default update: recall work will replace sway bars

I see there are two different recalls, the KX/ZX for stablizers, front control arms, and spoiler, and another one for front and rear control arms?

Dealer says the KX repair will give me new sway bars. I told him about 5 times to not put the spoiler on. >:-) I said if it goes on I will "blow up".

He asked if I want that other recall work done and I said no.

I asked that the old front control arms be returned to me just in case anyone is interested in having them. When i get them I'll post another message.

Sorry to you purists who hate the recall mods. Sometimes practicality overrules principle. :-)

I guess I'll have to change my signature ...

Quick Reply: cracked front sway (stabilizer) bar