TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Curious.. what's the difference between TT's haldex quattro and other Audi models' quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 05:54 PM
Jeff M

Default Curious.. what's the difference between TT's haldex quattro and other Audi models' quattro?

I know there's a difference, and I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the details.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2000, 01:42 AM
Peter S.

It is a completely different system, check the archives for an explaination.
Old 01-30-2000, 02:56 AM
Petter

Fundamentaly Quattro is permanent 4WD, Haldex is part time 4WD but mainly Fwd
Old 01-30-2000, 05:46 AM
Marius B

Default Haldex is not AWD when coasting or parked, so what?

It's like arguing about whether the figures in your bank statement are real money. If you can have real money from the ATM whenever you need it, it doesn't matter how "real" your credit is. :-)
Old 01-30-2000, 06:40 AM
Jon

Default From Audi's press release on the TT:

"For the first time in any Audi... the TT Coupe quattro incorporates an electro-hydraulically controlled torque distrobution system. It has the same advantages as previous quattro systems..."

The system is different because the engine mounting would not let the "standard" Torsen-equipped quattro of the other Audis fit in the TT.

Jon
'96 A4qs
Old 01-30-2000, 07:04 AM
Jeff M

Default From what I understand, haldex is not AWD at ALL unless the front wheels are slipping. (more)

So if you're driving along the road, you're pretty much driving a FWD car. The rear wheels only get power if the front ones slip.

So I'm not arguing that your ATM metaphor is false, I just question it because I can see both sides of the argument.

Perhaps it doesn't matter if all 4 wheels are driven under normal circumstances. I think Haldex would work fine for driving in slippery conditions. The rear wheels would come alive when you need them. But I'm much more interested in the pure driving aspect of AWD... like the elimination of torque steering. I can see how a 50/50 torque split under NORMAL circumstances is superior. But I'm not going to preach it... I don't know enough about this sort of thing to claim to know what's really better. I was just curious about what people thought about this particular aspect.

So I'm not arguing with your ATM (there when you need it) stance at all. Just trying to get more people to post so I can see what others think, too.
Old 01-30-2000, 09:30 AM
Jenner

If what you state above was the case, then a TTQ could run on a 2WD dyno, and it CAN'T.
Old 01-30-2000, 09:38 AM
Marius B

Default In engineering terms you cannot have traction or turning without slip, so "FWD until slip" makes no

... sense. Also, 50/50 would make a car with 60/40 weight distribution behave more like RWD.
Old 01-30-2000, 09:46 AM
Marius B

Default No-one has pointed to reasons why "old Quattro" can't be made to work with transverse engines...

I think the Haldex system is an honest attempt at developing a new technology that may bring along cost reductions and/or performance improvements compared to conventional Quattro (with a center differential).
Old 01-30-2000, 10:07 AM
Jeff M

Default Here's what made me post this to begin with. (URL)

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/6276.phtml">S4 post about haldex vs. torsen</a>.

I don't claim to believe that it's gospel, but I wanted to hear some of your input here. Please keep in mind that I didn't start this thread to be argumentative or anti-TT. Couldn't be further from the truth. I just wanted to hear both sides of the story, and I thought the TT board would be a great place to find the pro-haldex side. <ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/6276.phtml">https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/6276.phtml</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Curious.. what's the difference between TT's haldex quattro and other Audi models' quattro?