TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cylinder head installation problem… cam chain tensioner….. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head installation problem… cam chain tensioner….. Please help

So here is the story the timing belt slipped causing the exhaust valves to hit. So I sent the head out to a machine shop to have them check out and the valves replace. When he took it apart he said that there was a piece on my cam chain tensioner was broken so he replaced it. Everything looked good so I spent the last two days reassembling everything. With the engine all timed and everything not far from running again, I notice that the oil tube that connects to the top of the valve cover on the right of the engine (opposite of the timing belt) wasn’t fitting properly. After a while of trying to figure out what I did wrong I noticed in one of my old pictures that this part wasn’t there before. It is the cam chain tensioner. On my old one it didn’t bulge out at all but on this on it has a solenoid of sort on it. Mine is a 2000 and it looks like this part was for a 2001-2006 TT. So my question is what’s the best way to take care of this? Can I run this one without any electrical connected and a bigger hose or do I need to remove the valve cover and replace the tensioner? It is tight in there and I don’t want it to rube through. After all the work I have done I am doing my best not to have to mess up the timing or remove the head again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before cam chain tensioner

After cam chain tensioner

Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Get the right one..

your vehicle did not have tensioner with a an electrical plug before right ?

So now what will activate this tensioner with no wires to feed it power to activate ?

Call your guy and tell him he ordered the wrong part, and to get you the right one you paid for...
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes the proper thing to do is replace the tensioner, although it will work as is. their are several wright ups on how to chsnge the tensioner on the 1.8t.
But yes I have seen several guys run with the tensioner unplugged with no problems (they put a newer style head in a 2000 car) if it were me I would order the right tensioer.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the help.

Out of curiosity what does the camshaft adjuster solenoid do? What is the point of the electronics?

I would like to replace it to but I prefer not to have to remove the head again or mess up the timing. Can the tensioner be replaced without messing up the timing? I was thinking if the tensioner was compressed, then the intake camshaft was loosen it would make switching the tensioners out without interfering with the the exhaust cam. Does this sound possible?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes it can be swapped in the car. you will need the compression tool which will come with the new tensioner. first set the timing marks, then I use 2 small Zip ties and run one thru the chain link nearest the sprocket on each cam so you will easily see how the timing is set. then remove the caps on the intake cam and the first cap nearest the tensioner on the exhaust cam. now carefully pop the intake cam loose. collapse the tensioner and remove bolts. now carefully lift the cam up, keeping pressure on the chain so the sprocket doesn't turn and skip teeth. with your other hand slide out the tensioner. replace the gasket and swap. then just set the cam back and install. release the tension and make sure your timing marks still line up along with your zip ties. (their are timing marks, groves cut in the cam and arrows on the caps)
if everything lines up your done, if not it skipped a tooth, their should be 16 links between cams, this takes about a hour or so to do but figure maybe 2hrs first time.
the cars with the solinoid have variable timing, yours does not, the valve releases oil pressure which will allow the tensioer to basically collapse and either advance or retard the intake cam a few degrees. ECS tuning has the tensioers pretty cheap, i have used I think all of thier different options and so far have had good results with the cheaper ones. they generally have 3 or so different price ranges on the tensioners