TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

In Dash DVD\CD\TV Tuner for TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Dash DVD\CD\TV Tuner for TT

Any suggestions on installing a in-dash DVD/CD/TV monitor display in a 2000 TT Coupe?

I am looking to pick a system up and need some advise, easy to install? Or should I have a pro install?

Thanks Much.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: In Dash DVD\CD\TV Tuner for TT (long)

I have been lookin also for about 2 months for my '04 TT. I would absolutley say it is a professional install only. 2 wasy to go. Number 1 is to have the screen built in, replace the HU, and eliminate the ashtray. To do this, the switches for trunk, gas etc., have to be moved to the area under the emergency brake. Very time intensice install, but could look great.
Number 2 is to replace the HU with a complete system with a retractable screen. Alpine's models (D300 or 901) will both close and the TT flap will come down to cover. Or so I have been told. I have not yet done this because the Alpine D300, which is touch screen, is unable to control their navigation unit (852) through the touch screen. I would expect Alpine to come out with a new navigation unit in '05 that would be completley compatable with the D300.
Either way, total package is about $4K.
The Nav/TV box, etc. will be hidden. Only screen would show.
I also toyed with having screens in the sun visors, but rejected this because of legality of moving video in the front seats. Let me know what you come up with!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Going tonight to get quote ,,, will let you know

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate your advise.

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pioneer AVIC N1....

I have one and love it.... only draw back is that you can't close the cover...
$1600 USD on Ebay... well worth it!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default IMO-Stay away from N1. Cover will close with an Alpine

Also, there are some issues with N1 clock and navigation quality. Good luck. Let me know what system you come up with.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Got the quote...now I need to buy...

I went to a local custom shop, they do allot of work with NBA stars etc. Pretty cool pictures on the wall.

Anyways, I got a quote from them for a full install using a Pioneer In-Dash DVD Multimedia A/V Navigation Receiver with 6.5" Touch-Screen Display
Model: AVIC-N1
I guess the NAV Is real good on it etc...I had a demo of it and it rocked.

Total installed 2200.00 w/out the TV tuner. The TV portion sucked only local channels and looked like crap!

If I pull the trigger, I will post some pics!
Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Before having N1 installed

go look at the Alpines. Much better quality and the TT flap will close. I went to 2 custom shops to see both units and installs. One does extensive work with the local, world champ. football team. Lots of bling, spinners on the wheels, latest and greatest. The other shop does pro athletes too, but admitted that most young pro athletes have more money than style. I want any install to look as close to factory as possible. I want the TT flap to close, and I even want to change the color of the buttons to red - not yet possible on the Alpine HU D300 or 901.
The second shop, which is where I will get the work done, will give the look I want. Also, I rejected the N1 because no matter what they tell you, the nav disk requires swapping every 10 minutes or so. Anyway, that's my .02
Old 09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the advise...

Hey, I appreciate the heads up...Thanks Much. Do you suggest any version of the Alpine? I have not researched any yet.

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I am considering

the Alpine D300 or 901
300: touch screen with audible feedback when you push the buttons; OK screen; nice HU with lots of settings. Down side: can not control the Apline Nav. through the touch screen -yet.
901: beautiful screen, but not touch button- remote only. Also a great head unit.
Both are in the same ball park money wise. Also both will accept the iPod Alpine link that allows the HU to control the iPod. (I d/n even have an iPod yet)
My primary need is a Nav unit, so the other stuff is really not all that important to me. Also the 901 will control a lot of rear seat stuff, which of course we have no use for.
All in all, there is not yet a solution with which I am totally happy. And for $4,500.00 I want to be thrilled. The button color really bugs me, because Alpine has the color change available on other radio only HU.
Also, the Audi factory Nav is not able to be installed after market - but I d/n think that is a concern for you. Only trick with Alpine is that it is harder to defeat the emergency brake sequence for video in the front. But I have been assured this will not be a problem. Hope this helps
Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got Alpine IVA-D900, Alpine XM, Alpine NAV to have installed.

The flap will not close over the IVA-D900. However, I am considering having the little control **** machined down, or making a custom mounting bracket that allows the unit to sit further back by a few millimeters. The IVA-D900 has been rated as having the most outstanding screen of any unit.

The Pioneer AVIC N1 that CdnTT has is also a gorgeous unit.

I did not want a touch screen due to issues we have at work with touch screens. All of operator interface control panels at work are touch screens and we have problem after problem with them.