TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

dealer screwed my friend who bought a TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default dealer screwed my friend who bought a TT

Good friend of mine bought a black 04 TT coupe with just over 3000 miles on it from Infiniti of Willow Grove here in PA. They also own Audi of Huntingdon Valley, PA and claim it was a demo.

My friend took it today to get detailed at a local shop and they say the car has been painted. The dealer said the car has had no accidents at all. Is there anything he can do? Carfax didnt come up with any accidents or bodywork in their search.

Any suggestions. Can he take it back and be compensated?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its not uncommon for a new car right off the lot to have had paint work done...

I worked at a body shop briefly when I was younger and one of our major clients was a Dodge dealership that would have something that happened in transit or something that was screwed up when it came off the line. Its possible that something like that happened. Without knowing what indicated to them that it had been painted its hard to guess.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same here!

I got my 2000 Audi TT from a non-Audi dealer also. Just found out that the rear and front of the car had been repainted and was probably in an accident. CARFAX did not report this. This is one reason why carfax should not be used solely for checking used cars. Anyway, I got the car realtively cheap and the work the body shop did looks pretty decent. And Im sure the car is not salvaged, just a fender bender at most.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default but that would have reduced the price of the car...you should take them to court....

that's false advertising
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is it under warranty? Does it drive "wrong"? Does it look good?

maybe they parked it on the front line and the sprinklers caused water spotting bad enough to call for a repaint. If he didn't know before the shope informed him, it's probably not a big deal. The part that sucks is now the dealer is known to be dishonest and he has a bad taste. Why do they do that?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would take it back and explain the situation to the manager of the dealership...

request that they compensate you for selling a car without accurately disclosing all the facts. They sold the vehicle as a clean car when it had in fact been painted for some reason.

If they don't comply file a complaint with your state attorney and when they are brought to court, they will be more than happy to settle the claim.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not unless it was obvious. You can try to get some insentive from the dealer, but it would be a

difficult taks unless you can prove that dealer knew of the repair.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default How is it false advertising? You have the chance to look over the car before you buy it.

There is no warranty on physical condition of a used car. Maybe the car was not in an accident, the bumpers were just in bad shape. A dealership doesn't have any obligation to volunteer information about every single piece of work that was done on the car. Maybe they didn't even know about it. If you're worried about bodywork having been done, get it inspected before you buy!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 AM

Default I was just going to say the same thing. I took my car to a shop in...

San Jose, California to have my Votex spoiler and grill mod installed. They contract with Bob Lewis Dealership chain and lots of cars come off the train, ship, truck with some damage. And they do touch ups to the cars and put them out there as flawless new cars. It happens. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Only if he can PROVE he asked and the PROVE the dealer said no accidents...IOW

Screwed, not only that, could be from something other than an accident

Quick Reply: dealer screwed my friend who bought a TT