TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Defcon 1 has transformed my car into what I wanted it to be...something I am physicaly scared of>

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have to disagree ; )

Have you driven a car with Poly's?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with...>>

??

Personally I'm not a fan of too much Poly in the suspension for a street car, but that's me..YMMV

A track car is a different story..
Old 12-19-2007, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've read this twice now and I don't really understand what you're getting at

If the car feels twitchy at speed since you installed the defcons then you need to take another look at your alignment, specifically toe. I've had mk1 arms on my car with poly bushings for probably 20k miles now and the car tracks dead straight down the road and doesn't hunt at all. If you turn the wheel fast at speed the car is going to respond faster than if you didn't have defcons but just traveling down the road that shouldn't be a problem.

Your other problem with the front end sliding out sounds like understeer and probably due to driving too fast for the conditions. I don't think it matters what kind of tires you're running, at 25^ and wet roads they're not going to have as much grip as you expect. Even a 911 would understeer in that kind of condition.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup...Alignment is a key...>

as is the proper tire pressure balance.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's most likely that when they worked on the lower arms, they disconnected the 3 ball joint nuts

that are also used to adjust camber. When they put it back, if they didn't align it, chances are they gave you less camber than before, but that will also cause excessive toe in.

Front toe in is what usually makes a car dance on the road (more than excessive toe out).

Toe in and little camber also makes the TT push quite a bit.

So as John and Steve pointed out, check that aligment. Max out the front camber evenly if you can, and have them set the toe back to spec - or slightly toe out for more ****s and giggles if you don't mind tire wear

Then enjoy what your poly and defcons are intended for - immediate feedback and fast turn-in. Might be a good idea to keep the ESP on all the time in case you have too much fun
Old 12-19-2007, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Answers TTsumibishi & Fred and should I get URETHANE MOTOR MOUNTS BY VF ?>>>>>

sorry about attention grabbing CAPS!

I have H&R front & rear bars set to stiff. with H&R coilovers as well. The defcon 1 is my latest install and I hope to follow it up with HPA Haldex controller orange.

It will add an overseer effect that I am feeling now. Makes the car twitchy at speed and you feel very connected to the wheels. Every small movement becomes a precise action on the road. At least with my H&R setup now.

Fred: I had my axle fixed. One of my motor mount bolts is stripped on the dogbone. I think that this must be causing the vibration that breaks my axle. The motor no longer vibrates after the axle repair. I am just driving to work and back before I get a urethane motor mount kit by VF.

WHICH brings me to my question should I get VF mounts everyone? I've read the good and the bad. Is it all luck or quality of install?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default MORE Answers>>>

I did the install myself...

I haven't got an alignment yet, just put it back to where it was to begin with (used paint)... I have some other work to do first.

Anyway the car tracks perfectly straight and doesn't pull to any side. It feels semi-unsafe at highway driving speed to tell you the truth that is what I am hinting at.

I like this feeling and know that I will get used to it, with a good alignment, dry conditions, and my Falken Azenies back I will be 100% thrilled.

I am planning on getting a HPA HPP-Orange in the spring with front Kmac camber kit in urethane as well. I need to ditch these horrible upper strut mounts for a different system.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I run the full H&R kit as well- H&R Coilovers, H&R Front & Rear bars on stiff sett
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I love my VF's, but you need to get the whole set. I do have some vibration, but it is not

too bad, and it weakened after a couple months.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to get an alignment, guaranteed your toe is way off.

Quick Reply: Defcon 1 has transformed my car into what I wanted it to be...something I am physicaly scared of>