TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Defending Fronttrak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defending Fronttrak

From time to time I find it interesting to read opposing viewpoints on known points of controversy. Such was the case yesterday when I landed on a BMW forum with the discussion debating Audi Quattro versus rear wheel drive. Not surprisingly, the consensus was that rear wheel drive was still the preferred setup and that Quattro benefits were negated by its added weight. Again, this was a BMW forum. That aside, I have also owned BMWs and, as long as the ground is bone dry, I can respect that general belief all the while preferring Quattro as a more versatile engineering approach.

One comment that came up, to paraphrase, acknowledged rear wheel drive and Quattro as comparable setups, but suggested that Fronttrak was irrelevant. This comment registered with me because, after recently owning a 225 Quattro Coupe, I now have a 180 Fronttrak. I've been generally pleased with the handling of the 180 FWD, so given the otherwise bothersome rain soaked weather here in the northeast yesterday, I decide to drive my TT a bit harder than I should to test this all out. Of course, a number of factors, e.g. tires, contribute to overall handling, but I remained largely impressed with the handling. Coming off a stop light, I did manage to generate a bit of spin which promptly engaged the ESP system until corrected. I imagine Quattro would have handled this without having to rely on the engine management control of ESP, but that's about all I detected.

As with most people that buy a TT Roadster, pragmatism was not my first concern. Driving enjoyment on a 350 day a year basis was more the criterion. Nevertheless, this FWD car handled itself quite respectably. My previous two Audis were both Quattro cars so I know and respect what Quattro does, but as a venture into the minimalist land of Fronttrak, I have to say a TT with Fronttrak is not the "neither here nor there" vehicle that this BMW post suggested.

I know most of you on this forum are Quattro drivers, but what are your objective thoughts on TTs with Fronttrak?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 AM

Default I agree, (perhaps unsurprisingly...)

I've posted on the topic plenty of times here, but for probably 90% of the people 90% of the time a FWD TT provides 90% of the driving experience of Quattro without the penalties assoicated with the weight, or the complexity. I'm pretty sure everyone here is smart enough to know that my numbers above are pretty arbitrary, but you get the point.

I see Q as mostly a foul-weather advantage, but since mine is a Roadster and a 2nd car, I really don't ask a lot of it in terms of that. That being said, it has been driven in extreme cold, not to mention some snow, on summer tires, without issues.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My wet handling experience in TT FWD >

Here in Florida we have some torrential downpours in the summer on a regular basis. Not to mention the occasional tropical system. I can routinely out drive bigger vehicles, including supposedly safer 4x4 pick-ups and SUVs in these conditions. People pull off the side of the road in some of these storms and I just cruise on by. Believe me I have excellent control and am not reckless. Granted this could be more a tire factor than the characteristics of the TT.

Another experience - On the return home drive after evacuating from hurricane Francis a couple years ago I was in the TT and my wife and daughter were in the A4 Quattro. We took a lot of back country roads to avoid traffic and the storm was still dumping rain during the whole 200+ mile trip. I routinely led the way in the TT and had to slow down on a couple occasions so my wife could catch up. I was running Michelin Pilot Sports then and was amazed how well the TT Front-trak performed in those conditions compared to the A4 Q with Pirelli P-Zero M+S.

Of course should I lose traction I'm sure Quattro would be an advantage and the Touareg rules all in the nasty weather.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I play too? >

Since we get no rain (or snow) here "ever", I'm very good with it, but I do wish the weight bias were a bit more to the rear - that would solve some minor occasional oversteer (less an issue now that I can truly power out of problems).
FWD does take some getting used to, and it's got unique handling characteristics under power.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Default FWD performs well in daily driving and most other times. However,

when placed under extreme cornering conditions it has some limitations. The front wheels are expected to provide all of the turning force and forward motion. You have to then divide the available friction into providing both functions.

Quattro acts in much the same way, except that you also gain the forward force from the rear and lessens the total reliance on the front wheels and frees them up for providing the turning force as their primary function.

But that being said, FWD provides better traction in wet and slippery conditions than RWD and only marginally worse than AWD.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I concur with your analysis...

As I long time TT fronttrak owner I agree with your assessment on performance. Too many people have a tendency to believe everything written in the press regarding "ideal" weight distribution and handling. Real world conditions are often quite different from those found on the test track. There are times when quattro would have a distinct advantage over fronttrack but for 95%+ of real world driving conditions, fronttrack is more than adequate.

I am amazed at how well my car handles in the rain and in the snow. The essential point is to run with the proper tire for the conditions. Cooler temperatures, (> 40F) require winter tires and not summer tires. I recall a brutal snowstorm in Chicago and Northern Indiana/Southern Michigan the Wednesday before Thanksgiving almost two years' ago. On I-94, near Michigan City, Indiana, a BMW 3-series convertible was bent almost 90 degrees after hitting the center concrete divider--so much for perfect balance and the "ultimate driving machine."

-J
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FWD even better with a Peloquin LSD

Years ago there was a post from a quattro roadster owner who was on a hot date. The tire blew and the blown tire had to be placed between the passenger's legs because it did not fit in the trunk. Needless to say...
Old 09-06-2006, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would never want to buy a FWD car for many many reasons.

First and fore most is the complexity of FWD when compared to RWD. Repairs are more costly and complicated. Second, it doesn't have that FUN factor and balance that you can get out of AWD and RWD. For me its a toss between AWD and RWD and my choice largely depends on the type of car and how often/when/where it gets driven.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you may want to re-check your last statement.

FWD is much worse than AWD in terms of provided traction when it comes to acceleration both from stop and while moving. Also FWD is not better than RWD. Its all about weight. A rear engined RWD car (911) will have better traction than FWD, again in both types of acceleration.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Default You are talking about straight line accelleration on dry pavement which is true, but

given wet or slippery conditions, cornering and traction are best with AWD, then FWD, and finally RWD, that's why you never see the BMW club hold track days in the rain.

Quick Reply: Defending Fronttrak