TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Defending Fronttrak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems to me an AWD car is alot more complex then a FWD or RWD

There are more parts .More service involved in the AWD versus the others.I would think a significantly greater power loss turning four wheels instead of two.Depending on the criteria they all have advantages & disadvantages IMO.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 AM

Default Onlookers are still amazed at the looks of my car. I could care less if it's not Quattro frankly!

Like RedRoadster said, 90% of the driving time is Fronttrak anyway, so what's the bid deal. Since I changed to some really good tires and aftermarket wheels, my little "paltry" FWD handles supremely. The car has been transformed. I never get in sticky situations that I can't drive out of, and I never push the car hard enough to know the difference anyway. Sure it would be nice to have the extra power, but then "The Law" is ever more present. I have never driven a "Quattro" and not sure if I am really missing much. To each his own.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol I don't see that many wet track days for honda clubs either ;) and NO FWD is not better in

cornering. How can it be? You are trying to apply power and steer at the same time with the same 2 wheels while the rears are just hanging on. A rear engine RWD car will outhandle a comparible front engine FWD when the road is slippery, like I said its about the weight. All these debates about which one is better (AWD/RWD/FWD) always seem to forget the most important factor - WEIGHT.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I absolutely agree. (never claimed that FWD was more complex than AWD).

AWD is my number one choice in most situations, but if I lived in a warm climate (no snow) and wanted a fun car...it would probably be a RWD, and it definately would not be FWD. For me the complexity of AWD is justified...but not FWD.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: FWD performs well in daily driving and most other times. However,

I can accept that if we were talking about Torsen based Quattro, but would your statement still hold true for Haldex? Unless there is some degree of slippage, isn't a Quattro TT still running essentially as a FWD car? Is dry road cornering still favored by Haldex Quattro?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Not true, I've driven AWD, FWD, and RWD at the track in rainy conditions

and can say without a doubt AWD and FWD are better in slippery conditions.

And you forget, with the exception of the rear engine RWD cars, the weight is in front.

It is really about weight transfer. When you brake to set up for a corner there is a weight shift of nearly 1200 lbs in a 3000 lb car to the front wheels, which increases the available friction for cornering.

RWD in wet conditions will get quickly into oversteer where FWD and AWD will stay in understeer for the normal car and driver, because the front wheels are able to provide motive force.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM

Default There is still power applied to the rear by the stock Haldex, the bias is still to the front

about 80-20. When you get the haldex race controller you get a 50-50 bias.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Um no. A 911 is a notoriously famous car for not having the best...

weight distribution, thereby requiring some intelligence and skill in driving. It's rear heavy. 911's without any form of traction control are an acquired taste. But even the Carrera 4 and those with PSM take some intelligence to learn how to drive. It is by no means a better handling car, just because it's RWD. TT's are much more user friendly in figuring out how to drive. FWD's feel lighter to me. I drove a couple and was pleasantly surprised, but I'll admit, that was also on only dry pavement.

I drove my friend's 99 carrera 4 for a month and it rained alot here in Seattle. I kicked the tail out on that car alot. Alot!!!! And it had PSM in addition to the AWD. I wasn't excessively speeding either. It had good tires also. The car corrected itself like a scurrying cat, but it's an interesting feeling to feel the tail cut loose on a car as heavy as the '99.

Anyone who's driven a Boxster will tell you it's a much more stable car than the 911. It's true! The engine sits in an awkward center spot.

I always envision the only time a RWD car would be the ideal car to have...if your car is hanging nose first, off a cliff. LOL
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oversteer = GOOD, understeer = BAD for any well trained driver. ALSO

when you brake...as you mentioned weight transfers to the front...having FWD/AWD/RWD has no effect on the traction due while you are BRAKING. When you are at the apex and trying to get out of the corner, this very same weight now transfers to the back (acceleration) and hence RWD is now an advantage. For you, FWD may have seemed a better suited car, but I question your experience with RWD on a track and the type of RWD driven. I've tracked BMWs and loved the way they handled in both wet and dry. Porsche is just in a nother category. AWD (Quattro) is a perfect compromise but comes with a weight penalty, however the extra weight is well worth it for everyday use and occasional tracking. FWD is more than adequate but really isn't a prefered choice for an enthusiast who is comfortable and skilled (IMHO).
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Onlookers are still amazed at the looks of my car. I couldn't care less if it's not Quattro fran

I have driven a Quattto TT and I am also not sure if you're missing much either, in terms of normal handling. If it were the Torsen based sysetm such as I had on my A4, that would be different. That was clearly a foul weather advantage. Sure, a Quattro TT will make a difference in a slippage inducing situation, but in most driving situations it is unclear that Haldex Quattro offers benefit on par with Torsen Quattro. Quite possibly there is some confusion on Quattro benefits clouded by the capabilities of the Torsen system found on the larger Audi sedans. I am open to the fact that I am likewise unclear on Haldex benefits and welcome any commentary.

Quick Reply: Defending Fronttrak