TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Defending Fronttrak

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your last sentence says it all. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:40 AM

But for your avg driver oversteer = BAD, understeer = GOOD.. from a safety standpoint.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol yeah 911s are an aquired taste and need lots of practice to make best of.

And its not better because its RWD...as I said its better because the weight is in the back. That does present its own challenges especially if the brakes are not properly biased but if the car is setup right and the driver is familiar with it...it handles amazing. Hard braking is the hardest part cause the rear can come around you.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

absolutely and thats why most cars are FWD. Its a better choice for an average driver.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM

Finally... you see it my way.. LMAO
Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Default And I've driven by many FWD cars in the ditch with my RWD BMW 3 series

So obviously FWD cars all suck and the BMW is The Ultimate Driving Machine. Did you stop and check to make sure that BMW had the proper tires on? Did you check the skill level of the driver? did you make sure that the BMW didn't hit the median due to evasive manuvers to avoid some clown in a FWD car with 70/30 weight distribution?

I'll take my RWD 3 series over ANY FWD car any day. I refuse to give up the fun factor and live with the torque steer for minimal or no gain.

Trent
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In response...

Traffic was moving extremely slowly on I-94 because of the accident. I did notice that the car was shod with summer type rubber. Sorry that you are too thin skinned and have taken my posting personally. However, my intended message was that 1) fronttrack is more capable than what many individuals believe, 2) a car's capability is no substitute for driver skills, and 3) regardless of the marketing message certain cars are not capable of safe passage in any weather condition.

I agree that quattro and front wheel drive make some people overconfident and, thus, prone to accidents and roadside excursions; however, the average driver, with a level of prudence, will have greater control in a front wheel drive car than a rear wheel drive car. No amount of technology can overcome the physics.

I'll admit that Audis are not perfect but "the Ultimate Driving Machine" is nothing short of a marketing campaign. Different vehicles suit different drivers but a below average driver will not become Michael Schumacher behind the wheel of a BMW.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default FWD is an excellent choice for daily driving.

More weight is over the drive wheels, providing better traction in inclement weather under typical driving.

FWD is cheaper and simpler than AWD. But, now you're mixing arguments. All of these systems represent a different compromise. Is the goal maximum dry performance, maximum wet performance, or minimum cost?

RWD is better for high performance driving in the dry, as it better distributes the work load, and under strong acceleration the weight shifts to the rear.

AWD weighs more. But if you have enough power to spin your rear wheels, then AWD makes sense.

I know that on a track, my stock AWD TT owns all but the AWD 911's.

The S4 crowd is always nursing a blown turbo.

And, IIRC, Audi invented FWD, so I'd expect them to know what they are doing.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 AM

Default I took nothing personal but 1 poorly equipped wrecked BMW hardly deminishes the value of proper

weight distribution and handling. The benefits of FWD are reduced and pretty much negated when other factors such as over loading the front end are weighed in. There are zero times that I feel I would recevie better traction and better safety ont he road with a FWD car in comparison to my RWD. When properly set up with traction control and winter tires I can do anything and everything a FWD car can do just as well. And I see no reason to give up the enjoyment and handling that RWD offers in a perfectly balanced car just to go to FWD. Even if there are only 1 or 2 negatives to FWD then that is 1 or 2 too many because it is unnecessary and unneeded.

Trent
Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you driven a mk5 GTI?

Quick Reply: Defending Fronttrak