TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Derrick Thomas dies from injuries suffered in recent car crash...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 04:37 PM
Brad Willis

Default Derrick Thomas dies from injuries suffered in recent car crash...

As some of you may know, Derrick Thomas, the outstanding All-Pro Kansas City Chiefs linebacker, died today from injuries that he suffered in a recent automobile accident. Thomas, who was 33, was widely known as not only an immensely gifted athlete, but a fine man as well.

Unfortunately, Thomas was driving at high speeds in icy conditions, and was not wearing his seatbelt. A passenger in his car, who was wearing a seatbelt, walked away from the crash with only minor injuries.

As a former police officer, I have witnessed some of the most horrific collisions imaginable. I have seen first hand how seat belts can save lives and prevent serious injuries. I myself walked away from a 40 mph head on collision with only mild whiplash, thanks to my seatbelts.

So condolences to the fans, family, and friends of Mr. Thomas, and perhaps we can all learn something from this tragedy. If you don't always wear your seatbelts, perhaps Derrick Thomas' untimely death will allow you to reconsider.
Old 02-08-2000, 04:50 PM
Arthur Emerson

Default More details on the crash

According to Yahoo news, there were three people in the SUV. Thomas and the second passenger were ejected from the vehicle. The second person died at the scene. The third passenger, wearing a seatbelt, received only minor injuries. Vehicle speed was reported well over 70 MPH on a wintry road. When will these people learn..... :-(
Old 02-08-2000, 05:09 PM
Denny

Very sad. SUV doesn't equal invincibility in the winter ... awful news
Old 02-08-2000, 05:09 PM
Denny

You are so right. I use them driving five feet
Old 02-08-2000, 05:56 PM
RogerL

Default Hope everyone listens to Brad.

Good post Brad. As a police officer, you had to see alot first hand. My father was in insurance agent for 30 years, so he saw the same sorts of things, second hand.
I still remember as a kind struggling with the shoulder belt in Moms Volvo 122 (Fortunatly, the technology has improved since then). The car wouldn't move 'till it was buckled. (Hey, that's what she told me, who was I to argue?)
Old 02-08-2000, 06:14 PM
Janet

Absolutely.....fastening the belt is completely automatic for me every time I start the car.
Old 02-08-2000, 06:30 PM
Ted

Default For some reason I've been getting lazy on the village short/slow stuff...maybe I'm...

finding it a pain in the **** with this car. I'll pay closer attention, henseforth. Never felt good when I'm breaking the rule on this.
Old 02-08-2000, 06:42 PM
Jason Dale

Default I so agree....

Luckily, I've never been involved in an accident(knock on wood), but ever since i got into racing when i was 13, I've always used them, no matter what the conditions, driving distance etc... are. Now, i just need to get my girlfriend(fiancee)to start doing the same, especially with her stable of fast cars. It's a shame it takes something like this to get people to think twice about the issue.

Jason Dale
Lamborghini Technician
Exotic Imports
SLC, Utah
Old 02-08-2000, 06:43 PM
Ever-so-thankful for brads insights

Thank you "brad-dad"
Old 02-08-2000, 07:03 PM
Arthur Emerson

In high school driver's ed these days, they teach buckling the seatbelt before putting the keys in!

Quick Reply: Derrick Thomas dies from injuries suffered in recent car crash...