TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Design issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design issues

Greetings. I've been a car designer at a major auto manufacturer for 24 years, and it is hard for me to understand why the TT is so popular with kids today. It seems to go against everything we've learned in design school. It is extremely static looking, lacking in visual dynamics. Any fellow designers out there please feel free to comment.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:30 AM

Time to retire me thinks : - )
Old 11-27-2000, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Design issues

Finally! Someone with enough sense to see that this silly little car is just simple, not sexy, and has no direction. It is funny to see all of these dorks obsessing over it...the reason I am here is that I used to work in the car business, too, and it intrigues me that all of these young 'designer types' think they have some greater knowledge of design just because they obsess over this dumb car. Puuuuleeeeze...get a life.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:33 AM

Really good design can't be learned from a textbook.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:34 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you having fun with your two identities talking to each other? car stylisTT = TT bathtub
Old 11-27-2000, 10:35 AM

Default Lacking in visual dynamics? Static looking? You must work for GM

Audi has the most eye pleasing and DYNAMIC looking cars today both outside and inside.
Perhaps everything the design schools are teaching is wrong. Is that why we have such ugly things as the Aztec running around polluting the visual environment.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:36 AM

Can you give an example of a car that fits 'design school' ideal?
Old 11-27-2000, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a trolling post, please ignore. Save yourselves the trouble.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The TT is hardly just popular with "kids"...

Let me guess, if you really *are* an automotive designer, then I'll have to assume you work for GM.
And, what you learn in school is to be applied throughout your career. You are expected to grow in your thought patterns.
24 years ago, at your design school, again, at the peak of the so-called "futuristic design" monstrosities being produced out of Detroit, you would have been expected to think in a linear manner, that is, continue to produce crap.

At the least, give yourself a bit of credit, to try to embrace new design theroy, but I guess that's too much for you to fathom.

How far up the corporate design ladder have you gone?

Sorry, you are way off-base here.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:46 AM
Don

Default I think you just gave us all some insight...

as to why American cars all look the same and as if they were designed in a vacuum by "designers" with arrested development from the seventies. That you admit to being a car designer at a major auto manufacturere for the past 24 years takes a lot of guts. I agree with Raven below, if you can't understand why the TT is popular (and be assured, not just with kids), maybe it's time to step out of the game.

Quick Reply: Design issues