TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Did I make a mistake buying this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking. 2.5 months sounds unreasonable.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default SOunds abused. The suspension shouldn't rattle, unless they went 4-wheeling.

Car went into limp mode it sounds like. Several possible causes:

Engine Coolant Temp sensor (cheap)
Divert Valve failed (relatively cheap)
Why did dealer think it was the O2 sensor, and you didn't? It's also possible that it IS the O2 sensor, and the wires were problematical (I know a 1.8T on which you can see the conductors of the coil packs, yet it runs fine!).

There are two O2 sensors BTW.

As Steve (Modshack) says: get the VAG-Com and a manual. ANY 7 y/o car, including a BMW or Porsche, is liable to have issues. Finding the root cause, and not the symptoms, is the key to happiness.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow, this must be the 5th or 6th time that I've seen you post this...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The truth..>>

Is sometimes hard for some to accept....Noob influx too...:-)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Unfortunately, it can be a service nightmare

My first TT was *relatively* trouble-free. It was an '02 180hp quattro. It's main issues were that it kept blowing the radio/cd player unit and its windows were notorious for going down on their own (so I had to be extra-careful at car washes to make sure I didn't get a complimentary interior sudsing). I got rid of it after a lady ran a red light and t-boned me (driver's side, I was very lucky that this car is built like a tank)

My second TT was a nightmarish '02 225 quattro. It's problems were:
Burn 1qt oil every 1k miles
2 or 3 broken sway bar bushings (I can't remember - it was just frustrating that they *KEPT BREAKING* regardless of how carefully I drove my car. I never hit a speed bump harder than 2-3mph the whole time I drove it)
extreme turbo lag (found out it was a bad MAF after ...)
hit by a drunk driver going in reverse down the interstate - $18k damage in repairs

After being wrecked, it should have been totalled but the insurance company refused to do so. Once it was "repaired" -- which took months -- it spent more time in the shop than out and I was finally forced to sell it because I could not afford the continued time sink. Alas, I now drive a WRX -- I could not force myself to get the rice-a-roni spoiler sti, no matter how much better the performance might have been. 8k miles so far without so much as a hiccup of difficulties. It isn't the design icon of my TT, but it is a lot more powerful, still has all-wheel drive, and I can carry up to 4 passengers. I hope it keeps up for the next 100k.

I loved my TT's, but I could not keep them.

-Tanner
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I guess my post reads more like, "wrecked cars suck"

oh well, they both had issues prior to being wrecked Ironically, the MAF and oil leaks weren't fixed until after it was wrecked. har har.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Back Window Rattle

this is the infamous "hatch rattle" for the TT's. A couple things you can do to lessen it:

1. Reinforce the plastic snap-in deally. It is the cause of most rattling. Some people remove it altogether. I found that if I regularly would take and press it together (it's 2 pieces of plastic glued/snapped/somethinged together to hold that black mesh), it would solve most of that.
2. Open your hatch. On either side you will see little rubber stoppers. You can "unscrew" them some - they are adjustable. If you make them come out a little further, it will increase the tension against the hatch and that can solve most of the actual hatch rattling.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default and GSOI

getting sick of it
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I tried it all. Eventually I removed ALL the trim around the rear window, and left it out.

It looks a little unfinished but at least it's (relatively) silent.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i used to just punch mine..

and it would lessen the sound.

with enough punches, it went away altogether!

i think it makes the "rattle" sound when it's newer...as it gets older, it goes away....or with a beating it goes away

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake buying this thing?