TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Dissappointed after switch to DV30

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: You may have non-DV problem.

No other mods. I live over 3 hrs to the nearest Audi authorized service center. I wish I could drive someone else's 225 CQ to compare. Next time I'm in Albequerque (the nearest service center) I hope to hook up with someone with a 225 CQ to compare.
What is IMO?
Old 10-02-2000, 10:29 AM

In My Opinion
Old 10-02-2000, 10:32 AM

There is also IMHO, (H=humble), which I can't truthfully use.
Old 10-02-2000, 10:41 AM

Default That's because there is no performance problem with

the current Diverter valves. This continues to humor me that people complain about performance problems related to the DV. Let's help people really understand what a DV is ok? It's a 2 state valve... which means it has 2 positions, Open and closed. The valve does not regulate pressure or provide a range of pressures - it is either open or closed.
The DV valve found in our TTs is common to nearly a dozen different turbo vehicles. The valve has an tolerance that, when the valve kicks open (during the spool down - or foot leaves accelerator, below RPM of turbo zone) the air rush over the flipper of the valve causes a "honking" noise or whistling. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE!
Dealers have been instructed to reverse the DV to reduce or eliminate this behavior. Reversing the DV again does not affect performance - it simply changes the dynamic of the open/closed state of the valve.
It troubles me that so many of you are willing to put stock into the "opinions" of people on the internet without consulting Experts or at the very least your dealer.
Now, I realize that I'm gunna draw alot of heat for this post - but, before you go flaming me - check the technical specs for a DV valve and PROVE me wrong. If you can't produce exact, scientific evidence that a "failing" DV valve (specifically the honking or whistling) is anything other than what I've explained - then please stop trying to scare the non-mechanical owners (and future owners).
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-02-2000, 10:57 AM

Batten down the hatches!
Old 10-02-2000, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It almost sounds like you may just not be revving up the engine enough before taking off.
Old 10-02-2000, 11:15 AM

Default Re: That's because there is no performance problem with

What is the explanation for the time it takes before the honking appears? The reports range from days to several weeks.
Old 10-02-2000, 11:19 AM

Default Re: It almost sounds like you may just not be revving up the engine enough before taking off.

Should I need to rev the engine to close to 3K prior to letting the clutch out? Even if I rev to 2K before letting the clutch out I notice a loss of power prior to true acceleration.
Old 10-02-2000, 11:24 AM

Default 32.6784 days exact. Start your stopwatch NOW!

Just *kidding*!!!

Hatches battened. :-)
Old 10-02-2000, 11:30 AM

Default Find myself taking the "H" out, too.

What good is it to have an opinion, if it's gotta be humble? (If you have one worth a damn, it ain't humble.)

Now, being open-minded to consider other points of view is an entirely different matter.

Closed minds are (pick one) 1) a good, 2) a terrible thing to waste. (Disclaimer - In certain cases, both may apply.)

IMO. :-)

Quick Reply: Dissappointed after switch to DV30