TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Do you want Audi to make an automatic spoiler like the Porsche in up comming models?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I recently ran across the following quote by Frank Lloyd Wright--to wit--

"Form follows function--that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."

It seems to me the way you are using the "form follows function" phrase, and the way in which most people interpret it, implies that form must necessarily be subjugated to function...that function must essentially dictate form. And I think Wright says, quite simply, "that ain't necessarily so." It seems he views the relationship between form and function to be a marriage of equals, that both form and function contribute something to the end result.

I think the current TT spoiler definitely contributes something to the car's functioning--but I am less convinced that it contributes as much to the car's form. I think the overall form of the TT would benefit from a redesign of its current "ducktail". JMO--I could be wrong.
Old 02-14-2001, 04:30 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, Cliff.
Old 02-14-2001, 04:35 PM

Default I must, in this case, respetfully disagree with Wright...

He didn't design automobiles. His buildings don't move down the road at very high speed. There is no aerodynamic lift and no safety issue. I just think function is a little more critical in this situation. And I find the auto-spoiler, like that of the Boxster or 911s to be a rather contrived solution.

But I DO agree with you that the spoiler could maybe be improved a bit. However, keep in mind that it does reduce lift better than the spoiler on the Boxster. ;-)
Old 02-14-2001, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cliff, we have never known ye to be wrong.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh Oh, first its driving one, then she's "impressed", I think our Denny has been corrupted
Old 02-14-2001, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gary, I think your response begs the question...

The object of design is irrelevant, an automobile, a house, or whatever. Form and function co-exist in any object, and indeed contribute to the very essence of the object. I think the distinction you make is little more than a value judgement guided by logic, and suffers from superficiality (in a technical sense). Wright was more philosophically grounded in his consideration.

I think what you are saying is, "first we must make a thing work, then we will make it beautiful within the limits of its functionality." I think Wright would say "we must make it work and be beautiful simultaneously, that the object's function and its form should not be separate." In effect, he gives primacy to neither form nor function, but equal attention to both, in a way which compromises neither. And I suspect therein lies the "art" of design.
Old 02-14-2001, 06:12 PM
Elder Member

Just by the way that thang pops up and down. TT is the one for me!
Old 02-14-2001, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Being a gentleman, I shall refrain from further comment
Old 02-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Elder Member

Ooooops....
Old 02-14-2001, 08:06 PM

Yes, but I want to do it first...

Quick Reply: Do you want Audi to make an automatic spoiler like the Porsche in up comming models?