TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does anyone else think the forum has changed since the Falling Water event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone else think the forum has changed since the Falling Water event?

Call me crazy, but it seems like there is much more back and fourth between people, longer treads, more personal comments, much more OT posting, and less tech/car talk.

I'm not saying this a bad thing in any way shape or form. I think it is interesting how many of us have gone from just a name/nickname, a photo on SuiTTman's page, and for some of us, a voice on yahoo chat, to real people. Now when I read posts I can picture that person talking, with facial animation and body language when they post.

You know me, I'm a sucker for tech talk, but I think it's amazing that this forum is really a "community" a place where my "friends" hang out, not where random TT nuts go(ok well that too!) How many of your friends would laugh about a trunk monkey and how many would look at you like you are crazy. I guess we know who our true friends are!

Do the other car groups have this? I'm not talking about Assteks and Porsches, but do even the other Audi groups, A4, A6, etc., have the level of intimacy and sense of community that we have?

I'm sure the forum will settle back close to it's usual posts about DV's and blowtenza's, assbags and assteks will die down, new kerpopi's will be born and trunk monkey's can't die(can they). It was a pleasure to meet all of you whom I didn't know personally before and I look forward to meeting new owners in the future.

I look forward to the next meeting of my friends across the U.S. I won't be able to make a West Coast meet, so here's to 2002!
Old 04-27-2001, 12:04 PM
Elder Member

Great note, Jenner. Very true.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:07 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You were reading my mind! I feel exactly the same way and I think it's great...

..I was just thinking that we are all posting as if we were still standing in the parking lot out front of the Holiday Inn. The FW event allowed us (those that were there) to finally get to know one another as real people and I think it has definately affected the way we interact here.

The forum has become much more dynamic and much more entertaining. Personally, I think this is an improvement but I can understand how some members would prefer the standard technical content. I also agree that this "FW Effect" will likely wane in time but the images that we have of each other will remain to enhance our posting experiences.

On a car related topic....I really like the alcantara inserts in your seats. Can you tell me where I can have them done?
Old 04-27-2001, 12:10 PM
Elder Member

Default I, for one, still don't believe any of you are real people :)

I agree with you, though, Jenner, that the tone of the forum has changed. I think it's for the better. We are all more familiar with each other you can definitely see that in the silliness factor (especially in me??).

BTW, I can see how if might be daunting for a newbie.

Anyway, thanks for the thought. It was a cool weekend.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:17 PM

Default Jenner, I think you're spot on! Everytime I read something f rom someone, I picture them laughing,

sitting, singing, smiling, dancing, drinking and just plain old having a great time!!! I'm SO glad that we're not just "names" any more!

We're friends now!
Old 04-27-2001, 12:22 PM

Default Yes it's changed and sorry, but I think it's for the worse.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you guys got a chance to bond. And if I had gone to FW I'm sure I would feel just like you do.

But for those of us who didn't go to FW for whatever reason the whole forum now feels rather clique-ish. Kinda like we missed the big party back in high school so we're forced to listen to all the fun that that was had and wonder about all the inside jokes, etc.

And I think JimTT was right earlier when he pointed out that a newbie got barraged with BS when he asked a simple question. A question we ourselves might have asked a year or so ago. I think in part that happened because of all the residual FW excitement.

Anyway, that's all. I'm glad there was a FW and I hope there are many more. But you asked the question so I had to put in my $0.02
Old 04-27-2001, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Very true, I haven't been to my dealership to get you a TTrinket, rather a check?
Old 04-27-2001, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It was expected, and I feel this to some degree also. No "right" answer to my post.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interestingly, as a non-FW attendee, the changes are pretty evident IMO

It's been 1 week since the big event and the Forum is more upbeat, chats are lively and all of us seem more 'at ease'. The references to FW are constant, the friendships are genuine. As a non-attendee, I wish I had made the commitment to go. Heck, just to drink a few with Denny, Larry and Kerroppi would have been worth the trip!

The Forum though has been evolving for a long time. In the 20 month's that I have been here (almost daily because I have 'the disease'), the dialogue and interaction has steadily grown more familial and the sharing of interests has more depth and breadth than I could have ever imagined.

The most intriguing part to me is my observation that the concentration of folks in the Eastern US and relative proximity there has created a bond among you (again my observation), that has not developed yet in the West.

Cubster, TT4K9s, Brad Willis, and others certainly do their part. For me, I am just too busy (read: buried 24/7) to really even try to participate to at the same level as some of my Forum hero's like Michael and Ellen, Larry, Denny, Cliff, etc. seem to.

So, with regard to Jenner's commentary, I agree. The TT Forum is group of individuals with common interests and a wealth of experience in just about every field imaginable. I would be proud to call 99% of our participants - Friend.

In the West, we need a committment to get together more often - I'll be the first to renew my efforts and begin participating more.

Glen
Old 04-27-2001, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Didn't go to FW, and still feel comfortable here..

But I do agree, there has been to many OT posts, I have been a part of many.

I for one have tried to keep the majority of those posts to a minimum until later in the evening.

What I think is worse is the newbies being torn on.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else think the forum has changed since the Falling Water event?