TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does anyone here use StoneGuard or a similar clear-bra type protectant or does that . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be so. It was a PIA to install... mostly b/c they don't cut the stuff right.

When I called them, they were like "The TT kit is our best selling, our installer installs them all the time, I don't see how it could be cut wrong."

Bull**** invinca-shield. I can understand some leeway with it stretching and forming to the curve, but come on. Best example: the cuts for the headlight washers. Not even close to the right shape.

If I were you (or if I had to do it over again) I'd find a place that installs that sort of film and who would install it and guarantee the fit. Worth the extra cash.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:35 AM

Good idea. My dealer does them. I will have to ask about a guarantee. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

You have a dark color too..why is it crap for you? I'm debating getting it on my dolomite
Old 12-21-2003, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Had Stone Guard for 6 months and removed it. Film was yellowing. I guess they all suck.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:04 PM

Any residual probelms after removing it?
Old 12-21-2003, 01:09 PM

Default I think having a dark color is part of it. I have the "orange peel" look and there's creases in the

material. Even before I installed the stuff, I noticed that it's not exactly smooth and there are what looks like fold marks on it. The surface is "smooth" but the film distorts what you see through it. You probably won't notice it much on dolomite, though.

Plus, since invinca-shield doesn't cut these things right, I have some spots where the material is sticking up on the edges, because I had to go right to the edge to get it to fit, and it's since peeled back (and yes I touched up with the alcohol to make it stick, it doesn't work very well)

Plus, you get wax build-up on the edges of the film. People say it wipes right off... it doesn't. I took the piece off my hood because of the buildup and because there were pock-marks and a very noticeable crease line on one side. Plus, the piece was too big so I trimmed it to fit... that didn't work quite right. (I was careful not to stretch the piece out, but maybe I still did) The film came right off but it took a while to clean under the panel. The invinca-shield left the panel very, very cloudy compared to the unprotected areas. I also have a line there the piece stopped, but that's my fault for scratching there to try and get the wax build-up off.

Honestly, I'm not inept, and this isn't easy to install.

There's also a piece or two that are chewed up already. But I don't know... if I didn't have the shield there there might have been damage to the panel instead.

I plan on getting a black roadster within two years, and I do plan on getting the 3m material put back on, but I'll let a professional (ie. someone experienced with this stuff) put it on.

From what I can recall, most everyone here who raves about the stuff has light colored TTs. I've heard others, like myself, complain about it, and they usually have dark colors.

To those who think it's not hard to install, I don't know what to say. Maybe they cut my kit wrong (I doubt it) or maybe I'm an idiot (I don't think I am).

In any case, it's still better than a black bra. I think you should go for it, but spend a bit more and pay a good place to install it.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:12 PM

Default I removed the hood piece on mine... the underlying surface was very cloudy.

Took a while to get it cleaned up again. I basically had to polish the area with an abrasive scratch remover, then follow up with a finer swirl mark remover.

Now that it's cleaned up, it looks normal, except for the scratch I made when trying to clean the wax buildup off the edge of the film when it was on the car. (I'll admit fault for that, though)
Old 12-21-2003, 01:19 PM

Default here a pic that shows the "orange peel" look >>>

The pic is large, but if you look at the bumper panel above the license plate panel, you can see the difference.

Please don't kill my server :-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.tildewave.com/gallery/frontlicensebracket/img_1709?full=1">http://www.tildewave.com/gallery/frontlicensebracket/img_1709?full=1</a</li></ul>
Old 12-21-2003, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe you are in the same state as where Stongard is located, give them a

call and Im sure they could get a good installer to do the job.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply: Does anyone here use StoneGuard or a similar clear-bra type protectant or does that . . .