TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

does anyone know how to remove the stock front grill?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know how to remove the stock front grill?
Old 02-18-2001, 01:57 PM
Elder Member

Default I can tell you in a general sense... (long)

You have to remove the front end cover. There are bolts at the front of the wheel wells and along the underside. You have to have the car on a lift to get the underneath cover off first, which is easy. Then start on the fron end cover (FEC) after you get all of the bolts loose, then you have to disconnect the headlight washers and air bag sensors. And I think one more thing that I can't recall.

Finally, you can take the front end cover off and put it face down on a soft surface, like a bunch of towels so you don't scratch the paint. Then, the stock grille has clips that break away. They are not salvageable. Also, the stock grille is vey fragile, so you may break it. It's $140 from Audi if you want to get a new one in the future.

Are you putting in your ProjectZwo grille? So far I have chickened out. All of the above info is from the lead tech at my dealer. He has done one grille removal and replacement. We were looking at another TT up on the lift as he was explaining what needed to be done.

Just the front end cover removal is 1.5 hours of shop time, without grille replacement and re-connecting the FEC. Speaking of reconnection, the headlight washers are very tricky to reconnect and are fragile.

So, now you know all I do about the process. And you know why I am thinking long and hard about mounting the ProjectZwo grille at all, even though it is an awesome looking piece and I spent lots of money.

BTW, if PGTT (Peter) ever organizes a group buy again, jump on it. He ran this one like clockwork.

(exits making clucking sounds...)
Old 02-18-2001, 03:41 PM

Thanks, it is very helpful.
Old 02-19-2001, 07:17 AM

Default I don't understand why folks keeping making a 20 min job take four hours....

I put LLTEK grill in 20 min... Remove bottom grills and reach up and pop off metal clips. In the front take a small screw driver and push down plastic tabs on outside of grill. Grill pops off.
Install new grill.