TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 04:53 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joel which show on TechTV?

I used to watch ZDTV before it became TechTV. Do they still have The Screensavers show?
Old 12-27-2001, 04:53 AM
Elder Member

Do you suggest the same for an XP Home installation? I have an Me box.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:55 AM
Elder Member

Default I went from Win2k SP2 to WInXP RC1 to WINXP RTM (Pro) and it's rock solid.

I know how lucky I am. This is not the experience I had with NT4 to Win2k!!

I haven't "Larry'd" (LOL!) yet but I will in the next few months.

I would say a clean install. Perhaps you can use the utility Denny recommended yesterday and a new second hard drive to make a clean break. No, that won't work, the regsitries are too different between WinXP and Me.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thxs everyone......Last question..... Is reformatting an option on install or

do I need to reformat before I try to install
Old 12-27-2001, 04:56 AM
Elder Member

Default Either Screensavers of Call For Help....

I watch fairly often and find it more informative than most PC mags. Call For Help gets a little too basic from time to time but the Screensavers is usually worth watching.

Last night they interviewed the original code designer for the old Intellevision gaming console.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:58 AM
Elder Member

Default Have not seen/touched XP Home, but it is basically the same OS, so yes.

Any time I have upgraded to a new OS I first try to upgrade from the old to the new. I have NEVER had a stable install. Sometimes it last hours, sometimes days or if I am lucky weeks!

When I do a fresh install it lasts months to a year or more.

Remember I store all of my data on a server and it is not that big a deal to reformat a hard drive since all I have to do is reinstall software and setup the computer for the network.

The one thing I do that most people won't do is perform lots of system tweaks with the registry and how parts of the OS are configured.

Why did you buy XP Home? Just curious
Old 12-27-2001, 04:59 AM
Elder Member

Default I don't think that utility will work for you b/c you aren't switching boxes...

you only need to backup your existing files and programs.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:59 AM

Default option during install

you'll have to delete partitions and recreate them to get to the reformat portion.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:01 AM
Elder Member

Default It is an option on install.

Do you have more than a single partition? Meaning do you have a C:, D: and other drives? Not including the cd-rom, zip, cdrw or any other drives like that?

If you do, I believe it gives you the option to delete each one and start fresh. Just create the C: during install and create the rest using Disk Manager.

Create the C: using Fat and the rest using NTFS. Then you will be able to repair the C: with a bootable floppy if down the road anything goes wrong. If you don't care about that, then create all of the drives with NTFS. More stable and very secure file system, plus it si very fast.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nah...I wouldn't say that. You could do what I did just recently...

I had Windows 2000 on my computers at home and wanted to install XP without formatting, but I knew I didn't want to upgrade.

Here's the process:
Boot from the XP CD. Don't run the install from within your existing OS because this will run an upgrade.
When XP Setup asks if you want to install, upgrade or repair, choose install. This will not format your drive.
When XP asks which partition you want to install on and what you want to do with that partition, choose the partition you want, and choose to not format. Windows XP will install in a different directory from where your existing OS is, and I think you'll get a choice of which OS to boot into when your computer starts.

You may have to re-install some programs, but will be in working condition in your Program Files directory.

Make sure you back up anything that is extremely important (email, documents, etc) before doing this since you never know what might happen, but everything should be fine. If you've got any other questions, just ask, and I'll try to help.

Quick Reply: Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it