TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:03 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who are the hosts now?

Is Leo Laporte still the CFH host? I was on the show as a caller once! I also met Kate Botello and Leo from The Screensavers a few years ago! lol

Maybe I will scan in the picture I have and take a picture of the ZDTV red cubes I have.

Who hosts The Screensavers now?
Old 12-27-2001, 05:03 AM
Elder Member

Default I didn't buy either but I'm leaning towards Home b/c of price and b/c

the only "taxing" program I run is a the CAD-based Links golf course designer. It crashes w/ Me after a few hours every 5 or 6 times I run it.

I know Pro is more stable but I didn't think my uses demanded the extra cost. I'm still thinking it over so give me your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:06 AM
Elder Member

Default I'm not sure if Home is less stable than Pro . . .

I would doubt it since they both use the same kernel. It is more of the fact that Pro has more features and can do more things than Home.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larry...If I am asking whether or not it will reformat on install, Do you think..

that I will know what the hell "Using FAT and NTFS* means? =-P

In laymans terms, What are those?

Please explain like I am Joel installing a Forge valve =)

Thxs
Old 12-27-2001, 05:08 AM
Elder Member

Default Leo and that "beefy guy" (forgot his name) host Screensavers

Martin Sargeant sometimes co-hosts. CFH is usually a new young guy. I don't see that one often b/c it airs too early.

It would be a whoot to hear you calling in!

I e-mailed them once and asked about transferring standard cassette audios to digital files. No response : (
Old 12-27-2001, 05:09 AM
Val

Default A different take

I have installed all the XP betas and two commercial versions in my laptop hardrives. Some betas gave me headaches but the commercial version is stable and much better than ME. It works well both ways, on top of ME or with a clean install. This is important: the XP setup initial screen has an option for checking your configuration before installation. It will tell you what is compatible and what's not and then you can decide how to go from there. I understand the convenience of having all your previous settings. If you decide on a clean install, it will format your drive before installing the OS. E-mail me if you need more help.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:09 AM
Elder Member

Yeah! What he said!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FAT and NTFS are two different file system types.

FAT is the old filesystem that DOS used, and fankly, I think it's outdated, especially for today's gigantic drives. With larger drives (larger than like 500 megs, if you call that larger) FAT wastes a lot of space. The bigger the partition, the more space you waste. FAT32 (I think XP uses this) is an updated version of FAT that doesn't waste near as much space, and is compatible with Win98, 2000 and ME.

NTFS is a newer filesystem that doesn't have a lot of the limitations of FAT. You'll waste a lot less space with NTFS, but you trade off some compatibility with older operating systems like Win9x and DOS, so you won't be able to dual boot to one of these if you format with NTFS.

Frankly, if Windows XP is going to be the only OS on this computer, I would go with NTFS. I've been using nothing but NTFS ever since I upgraded to Windows 2000 with no problems whatsoever. Other people will probably argue with this, but this is my opinion.

Not sure if that answered your question or not, but umm...I tried.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't do it!!!

Just my general case advice on installing XP...
Old 12-27-2001, 05:28 AM
Elder Member

Are both options available at install?

Quick Reply: Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it