TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, both are available during setup if you choose to format.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:36 AM
Elder Member

Default ok, ok . . . sorry! Serious answer inside to the question.

First pop the hood open, oops that is for the Forge install

Ok, I see that gnow answered the question so I won't bother.

FAT = File Allocation Table
NTFS = New Technology File System.

FAT has been around since DOS and has been updated along the years to get to where it is now, FAT32. NTFS came out with OS/2 but was called HPFS way back when. Microsoft changed it and made it incompatible with HPFS and called it NTFS. I know, you don't want a history lesson, but I figured I have a captive audience! lol

As Gnow said, FAT is backwards compatible with all other MS OS's. NTFS is only compatible with NT, Win2k and XP. Since XP has gotten rid of the underlying layer of DOS that ALL Microsoft operating systems have had, even NT, Win2k and ME you can't bootup to a DOS or a Command Prompt in XP. This would be needed if you ever have a problem with the OS and need to get to the directory where XP is installed and need to replace a system file. If the OS is running most times you can't replace the file itself. But if you have the replacement file in a directory on the C: drive and boot to a floppy then you can replace the file. If you have NTFS running on the C: drive then booting to a floppy is not an option since the floppy will not be able to read the NTFS parition.

The FAT and NTFS file systems basically split the drive itself up into sections, or sectors as it is known. The better the file system the smaller the sectors can be and the more efficient the storage is on the drives. For example everyone knows that a floppy is 1.44mb in size. If you were to format that floppy using FAT32 it might show 1.65mb, using NTFS it might show 1.85mb. No, you can't format a floppy like this and the #'s I chose are at random, but you get my meaning.

The reason for the discrepancy is the efficiency of the various file systems. NTFS also is a much faster file system, has security built into it, and can also be compressed on the fly. Somthing that FAT and FAT32 can't dream of doing.

The way files are moved and copied on the different file systems is also different. Because NTFS is all about being stable and secure it copies and moves files in the safest possible manner. For example:

In FAT/FAT32 when you move a file the file is copied from old location to new location. If something happens in the middle of the move the file can be damaged.

In NTFS doing the same move the file is left intact at its old location until the move is confirmed then the file in the old location is deleted. This is much safer.

This is just a basic example and does not cover going across drives/paritions and within the same directory structure. Quite a few different scenarios, but you get the idea.

Remember NTFS was built for businesses where losing data is more important than losing a game score. FAT was built in the 1980's! Enuff said.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:37 AM
Elder Member

Default Patrick Norton . . .

Did you ever watch the show with Kate? She was a ditz, but cute!

I can't find my call, it is not on the site anymore. Their archive only goes to Novemer 2000! I sent them an e-mail asking about it and will let you know.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:39 AM

Default sean -- even if you have all of your program disks (cd's), you may have to download...

updated drivers for your peripherals...you almost certainly will have to for things like virus protection.

good luck!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:39 AM
Elder Member

Default Why not? What do you find wrong with it? Come on, be specific! :)

If you are a Mac fan, no point in commenting.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:40 AM
Elder Member

Default Virus protection requires an entirely new program, not an update . . .

same is true of fax software and many other software programs.

It takes a bit of investigating to get it right before doing this.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:45 AM
Elder Member

About the hood part....... Do I need to attach anything to the lever before pulling?
Old 12-27-2001, 05:46 AM
Elder Member

Default Yes . . .

Your left hand!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:48 AM
Elder Member

Default That's the guy. I did watch w/ Kate. She's on their gaming show now.

Those bug eyes of hers are freaky!

For a pretty solid website, they're lacking in the response department. I've also found the site to be a little difficult to navigate at times and the search function isn't very good.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:49 AM
Elder Member

But I'm right handed! No wonder I can't get it to work.

Quick Reply: Does installing XP totally reformat your hard drive? Or does it