TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Dont use In Motion Tuning chips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont use In Motion Tuning chips!!!

Two years ago I bought ECU Chip tuning on Ebay from In Motion Tuning. I had no issues with it until a month before warranty expired. My car started throwing misfire codes. I replaced all plugs, coils, and inspected harnessfor poorly insulated wires that may have cracked from heat exposure. I finally concluded the problem had to be the ECU. I was shocked when I removed the cover of my ECU to find what a lousy soldering job IN Motion Tuning did with their chip!As you can see from the photo. There was even a pin that was not properly soldered to the board it was just barely making contact! I can only conclude this was the cause of all my problems. By the time I found this the warranty had expired of course! I doubt it would have mattered anyway as another TT quattro owner I spoke with had the same problem under warranty and IN Motion did not fix it upon him returning his malfunctioning ECU to them.
I now have a new ECU that just happened to come with an APR chip
(thanks to my lucky find on Ebay) that looks better than thefactory components soldered to the board!
Sorry I dont have a pic of the quality APR chip my wife deleted it by mistake.
There is a reason why APR charges $500.00 plus for their chips and it tweaks me I had to learn the hard way. In the long run it cost me almost $1500.00 to save 200.00 on my performance chip!
So what have we learned kids? You get what you pay for! Go for the reputable company!
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Damn! Sorry to see that man! =(

Have seen some awp and other ecus cheap lately on the ebay... dont know if you found one yet or not.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I have seen some good and bad chips on ebay lately too. I was just going to get a new ECU from the stealership when this happened because I could not locate one that matched my VIN anywhere. When I almost lost hope I found a matching ECU with an APR chip that had Chipped mode, stock and Valet for $350.00! How lucky is that! The faulty chip and ECU I pulled out of my car is currenty on Ebay now. If there are any brave souls willing to try to repair it!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have an InMotion tune, but I went through the OBD port to reflash my ECU rather than sending it in to bee soldered. It's been fine with the exception of a hard limp once in a while (17743 - Torque overlimit errors).

Gonna try an MBC and diode to try to boost a bit more, too.