TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Driveline chatter when ASR is on in turn??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 01:22 PM
JackR

Default Driveline chatter when ASR is on in turn??

Anyone else experience significant driveline chatter when accelerating hard in a turn (from a stop) in rain or other slick conditions? Lately it seems that when the ASR comes on it sometimes really starts bucking somewhere. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-1999, 01:44 PM
mne

Default its "wheel-hop" Jack and it can be pretty severe on the TT and the only thing I've found (more)

on my FWD to prevent/diminish it is to get off the gas. Mine does it every time it breaks the front tires loose from a dead stop or slow rolling start on undulated or less than smooth surface. Mine is chipped but it did it before too, jus not as easily. I was hoping the H&R springs might eliminate/reduce it... that didn't happen. I even put my stock wheels/tires back on thinking the dramatically lighter forged magnesium wheels I'm running were contributing/facilitating/aggrivating it... wrong again. Seems whenever the tires break lose on anything other than glass-smooth pavement, it happens. I'm stuck on this one. Anyone else have any ideas how to reduce/counter this effect? When I've experienced this on rear wheel drive cars we could always control it with racing shocks and/or traction bars. I'm holding out for Bilstein coilovers or "sport" shocks to become available just for that purpose. Could try Koni's but just never had much luck with them... always felt too hard even when set on softest settings. Ideas anyone?
Old 10-21-1999, 03:04 PM
Benson

Default "wheel-hop" - how are you defining it and what's causing it? (more)

What precisely do you mean by wheel-hop in this instance? An imbalanced tire will certainly "hop" at a critical road speed but I'm unclear as to how the ABS would induce it (I'm presuming that it's the ABS system cutting in during traction loss that's causing the problem).
Thanks
Benson
Old 10-21-1999, 05:19 PM
John P.

Default mne, do you have any pictures of your TT you could post? Thanks! nt

nt
Old 10-21-1999, 06:16 PM
mne

Default Wheel-hop is simply the inability of a cars suspension to keep its tires (more)

planted firmly on and transferring traction continually to the ground. The wheels/tires start bouncing up and down. It can be anything from mild to violent. About the only way to tame or manage it on FWD is with shocks that work well and I mean REALLY well. Shocks known for their rebound, as well as damping effect. I suspect the shocks/strut cartridges on the TT are decent at damping but questionable at rebounding. A quality "sport" or competition shock/strut should never rebound from its fully compressed position fast or quickly, unresisted, even under the "push" of its surrounding coil spring. It should offer resistence to the spring from pushing it back out of its cylinder. It should dampen on both down and upstroke of its internal piston. Its my suspicion thats whats at work here. And NO its not a "problem" for me. I still love the car. I wouldnt drive anything else. But I'm on a quest for some shocks. And who knows... maybe the shocks are at least a small part of the by-now infamous "recall." We've all heard shocks/springs are going to be replaced with "stiffer" ones. Whos to say they're talking dampening rather than "rebounding"... stiffer/firmer works both ways. And in the case of automotive suspension "what goes down should go up"...dampened.

And this is most assuredly NOT an ABS induced phenomenon. The brakes are never touched during this kind of acceleration. Nor is it ASR-related as mine will do it with ASR on or off. Heck... I tried that the very first time I experienced it.