TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Driver's side windshield wiper coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's side windshield wiper coverage?

Just noticed that the driver's side wiper does not contact the entire length of the blade to the glass, leaving a somewhat large area unwiped. It looks very bizzare. It is like the blade doesn't want to flex to fit the contour of the glass.

About an inch unwiped at the top when blade is almost up and down (vertical), about 4-6" unwiped when blade is almost down to cowl (horizontal).

Since we rarely take the car out in the rain, I haven't noticed this before. Is this normal?

Paul
Old 05-22-2001, 10:10 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, that is NOT normal!

any of 4 things could be wrong:

1. The wiper blade is the wrong one.
2. The wiper blade is bent.
3. The wiper blade is installed upside down, don't laugh I saw this on a few TT's! The aero wing should be with the smooth curve facing the front of the car to catch the wind and force the wiper arm into the windshield.
4. The wiper arm has been bent, but this is doubtful.

No matter which of the above it is, go to your dealer and ask them to replace the wiper blade and test it for you.

Both of my wipers clean the glass completely with no wiper lift at any point in the swing.

How that help
Old 05-22-2001, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On a related note: How do you tell which side is up on the passenger's side wiper?
Old 05-22-2001, 10:14 AM
Elder Member

Default I don't know if this is right or not . . .

But I have always installed wipers so I can read the name Bosch from the front of the car! lol Like I said, don't know if this is correct . . . but it can't hurt, right?
Old 05-22-2001, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm sure my service advisor will be glad to know my list has grown to 11 items now for my 5k...

..next week.

I have only seen wipers do this when using aftermarket blades (which is why I only use OE now)

It looks installed right. It is almost like the arm doesn't have enough force to keep it flat. On our Chevy Truck, the spring tention is wicked tight, forcing the blade against the glass. The TT tention seems wimpy.

This is the second time we used the wipers in 5K mi. (first was the FW event).

Paul
Old 05-22-2001, 10:40 AM
Elder Member

Default ok, then I forgot to list one thing . . . :)

It could also be a broken spring or a loose spring. If the tension of the arm is not very strong, then that could be it.

Both of my wiper arms are about the same tension. How do yours compare?
Old 05-22-2001, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Haven't checked the Pass side tension, I think that is a shorter blade anyway. But will check
Old 05-22-2001, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Found the problem. Swapped Drivers and Pass side blades - 96+% better

Pass side blade wipes much better on the driver's side. Glass contact the entire wipe path.

So, it is definitly the wiper blade (not just the rubber) that is defective.

Side note: nice to finally own a car with blades the same length on both sides.

Who was the rocket scientist that designed the wiper arms to allow the blade to be installed backward? Mine were installed correctly, but I did attempt and succeed in putting them on backward.

At least I know I'm not crazy (well alright...a little crazy )

Paul
Old 05-22-2001, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Where the rubber is held in by the arm, I think that should be on the bottom (just a guess)

Same problem on my honda. When I installed it on the top, the rubber would tend to fall out.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:26 PM
Elder Member

Default answer to upside down blade . . .

The cars come from the factory with small blue wipers, travel wipers and the real wipers are in the trunks. They are installed by the dealer prep person.

If that person does not know how to install a drivers wiper blade properly then the aerodynamic wing on the leading edge of the wiper will get installed backwards!

I have seen it a few times, not only on Audi's. It actually created lift when installed wrong, that's why I included that in my possible problems!

How does the drivers blade now work on the passenger side? Is it the same or better over there?

Next time you go in for service ask them to replace the blades, they are free.

Quick Reply: Driver's side windshield wiper coverage?