TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Drivetrain Issues While Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Issues While Steering

I think from what I've read here on the forum, my issue may be with the Haldex, but seems heavily tied into my steering wheel, so thought I'd describe it here. I plan on contacting dealer since I'm under CPO, but what to expect?

When car is cold, and if I crank steering wheel full left or full right, then back out of a parking spot, I get a few feet and then the wheels bind up. When I let off the gas, the car immediately slows with no braking applied and then is very tough to move forward or backwards even with the gas pedal. If I straighten the steering wheel and force it forward a few feet, the binding seems to release and I'm good again.

While driving, it feels as though the wheels bind up whenever I take tight corners. When steering wheel released, drag released.

U-turns are another problem area...car reacts same as backing up with steering wheel fully turned to one side. You can even hear the tires skipping across the pavement as if they cannot all turn freely.

This issue was minor about 5k miles ago and could not replicate for dealer. But now it is much more common and I'm hoping i can replicate it to get this fixed while CPO still in effect.

Is there some input provided by the steering wheel to the AWD system to help it determine the delta in turning radius for the inner/outer tires? Or is there something else very much wrong here?

Yes...I have confirmed the lug bolts are not interfering with anything.

And yes...I have tried pulling e-brake during the binding but it does not release the binding. Only forcing the car forward and straightening steering wheel seems to correct it.

Thanks in advance!
Rob
Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes....Haldex/Differential problem...>

Nothing to do with the steering actually, that's just setting up the conditions for the problem. Run the Haldex diagnostics and see what the outcome is...&gt;<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1452481.phtml">Here............................... .......</a></li></ul>
Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 AM

is it accompanied with a grinding noise?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

No grinding, just severe resistance