TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Driving at 9/10th?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving at 9/10th?

Now that the TT is more than a couple of weeks old, I'm getting more spirited in driving. Taking corners/curves faster - driving in rain as if it's dry out, etc...

So here's the question...under what circumstances will the car break away, how does this start, and what would you do to correct it?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:51 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

are you serious???? if so get yourself to a driving school ASAP before you die.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:53 AM

Default i would second that -- not only will you be safer, but your tt will not be wrecked and you'll have..

alot more fun driving it!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Default Let me clarify....

The last thing I plan on doing is driving like a mad-man - testing the limits on the streets.

I was more curious as to if there was over-steer, under-steer, etc. as the TT aproaches the limit - usually during some sort of emergency maneuver, or hitting a patch of water/ice, etc.

That being said, I'd love to know if anyone is aware of any places/tracks in the Chicago Area where you can take the car to test its limits...I've been to schools, but its always been with rear-wheel drives not the quatro system!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:27 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default join the Quattro Club and attend one of their track events....

the car understeers but will snap oversteer very quickly at speed as will any small wheelbase car. Whether rear or front drive it is weight shifting that effects this and the loss of traction. Many issues that one must experience firsthand and Quattro club will offer specific info regarding audi vehicles and excercises to get you up to speed safely and to practice driving at the limit.

See the link below to the quattro club and events that may be convenient to attend.<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattroclubusa.org/">Quattro Club</a></li></ul>
Old 03-29-2002, 09:35 AM

Default one nice thing is ...

that the limits are pretty darn high under 'normal' circumstances.
I had to do a nasty 0-60 in the pouring rain on the turnpike from the breakdown lane in between construction barrels - just turned off ESP and let the Quattro do its job - no surprises at all, yahoo!
I'm not saying there isn't a value to learning what the various limits are, at least under controlled circumstances...
but it's reassuring to know that most of the time, you can just point it and drive! enjoy :-)
Old 03-29-2002, 10:03 AM

Default agree completely -- the quattro club in the md/dc/nova area is very active and we have had a number.

of events at a local track (a really good technical track) -- a great way to learn how to really drive your quattro! there are several chicago-area folks on the forum, hopefully one of them can tell you about local groups and tracks.

have fun!
Old 03-29-2002, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's lots of autocrosses in the Chicago area.

There's a few right around Chicago, and if you're willing to drive a bit to get to them, you can attend one just about every weekend in the summer. I live in South Bend (about 90 mile seast of Chicago) and I've had people come out from Chicago for the South Bend Region autocrosses. Well be having on in Buchanan, MI (96 miles from Chicago, according to Mapquest) on May 19th if you want to come out.

You'll get to test the limits of your car in a safe environment. You'll learn a lot about your car and how it handles without having to worry about other cars on the track hitting you if you mess up. Email me if you would like more info.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:02 PM

Thanks...this was what I was looking for....will join the Quattro Club this weekend!