TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Drove a 10th Anniv. Miata

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 02:35 PM
bsm

Default Drove a 10th Anniv. Miata

A friend (woman, of course!) let me drive her 10th Anniv. Miata. A month or so ago, we had quite a debate on the forum about the Miata vs. the TT. I then took the very defensible position that the Miata was cute and more for women-folk than men. You might see Furby drive it, but not Pierce Brosnan. In any event, I drove the 10th Anniv. Edition and...

It is no TT. It really seems like an awful lot of cash to spend on a Miata. I must say the 6 shifter was fun, and the car seemed quicker than the 5 shifter version, but it still seemed slow to me. The interior, IMHO, cannot hold a candle to the TT. If I were interested in a convertible, the I would spend a few bucks more and buy the Z3, which, IMHO, is better looking inside/out than the Miata. I know, you Miata fans are thinking, "but the Miata is a great value." True, but that's where the car's lack of gender-neutrality gets me.

BTW, for you folks holding out for a 6 shifter 225 TT, this was the first 6 speed I've ever driven. While it was fun, I did tire of it after a while. After the initial fun of driving it, the difference between 5th and 6th didn't seem worth all the extra effort in the Miata if it was going to be your daily ride. Because I have not driven the 225 TT (or any other car with a six speed), I really have no idea whether it would be worth having the extra gear on the TT.
Old 09-07-1999, 07:26 PM
jim singler

Default Re: Drove a 10th Anniv. Miata

as for the 6-speed...who cares? some say that the 225 ttq with a 6-speed does not have the same exhilleration as the 180 5-speed. whatever...unless i'm going over 70, i don't use more than 3 gears anyway. i once had a guy comment to me as i was taking him to the airport..."hey isn;t the engine making a lot of noise??? i turned up the radio!

jim singler....gearhead wannabe.
Old 09-07-1999, 08:15 PM
Susan Black

Default Re: Drove a 10th Anniv. Miata

Tired of shifting? Wait for the automatic. I'm sure there will be a big demand for that. And whats with all this woman and Miata stuff, give me a break.
Old 09-08-1999, 12:47 AM
Marius B

Default Re: Tired of shifting gears?

The 225 has such close ratios and ample power that it's no problem to skip every other notch. Start from 1st to save clutch wear, and go through 3rd to 5th or 6th. After that, 2nd and two higher gears are all you really need.

After all, you select gears to suite yourself, according to whether you want to drive economically or dynamically. At normal 60 mph you will have 4 ratios to choose from, according to purpose and need. There's no reason not to jump gears for leisurely driving.
Old 09-08-1999, 04:27 AM
Joe

Default elaborations

This is always an interesting subject. I've been an avid reader of both Car and Driver and Automobile for years, and its always interesting to read about their opinions on cars that appeal more to one gender than the other. Automobile's Jean Lindamood (now Jean Jennings) once devoted her whole column to dismissing the VW Cabriolet as a "chick car".

Ironically, they never mention the Miata in the same context. The consensus seems to be that it can be a "guy's car". Of course, if Mazda made it a bit more like a Lotus Elise, I might not have made such a bee line to the TT...

Okay...going back to stroking the denim blue die-cast TT model on my desk.
Old 09-08-1999, 04:50 AM
bsm

Default Funny, because every guy I know thought of the VW cabriolet as a "chick car" too. (nt)

nt
Old 09-08-1999, 06:42 AM
Koo

Default My daughter thinks guys look "funny" driving New Beetles.....

After all, they have flower vases on the dashboard. she's 19--so we got into a bit of an argument about stereotypes. I said "So I suppose then only 45-year-old men should drive red Corvettes, right?", and she said, "well, yeah".......
Old 09-08-1999, 07:25 AM
bsm

Default So do I, but I realize that my opinion may not be to popular with some on this forum (nt)

nt
Old 09-08-1999, 02:55 PM
Chuck Mayer

Default Miata vs. TT

I agree that $26k+ for the Miata 10th Anniv. edition is way too much. The Miata is an outstanding car for the money, providing the money is in the low $20k range.

Regarding the TT comparison, there's no mystery why the TT's interior is better -- it's designed to sell for $30k, the Miata's is designed for $20k. Of course, the TT additionally shows much more imagination than anything else on the road at any price.

Regarding the comparison to the Z3 2.3, yes the BMW offers more performance because of its inline six. However, even the BMWCCA acknowledges that the Miata outhandles the Z3 2.3 and is more fun to drive. As a previous Miata owner who now owns a BMW M Roadster, I can tell you that the previous generation Miata was much more rigid structurally than any version of the Z3, M or otherwise...
Old 09-08-1999, 08:05 PM
JMaTT

Default My wife & I own a cabriolet. It's great fun. It's a chick car. I hate driving it by myself. (nt)

nt

Quick Reply: Drove a 10th Anniv. Miata