TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

drove TT @ Summit Point, W.Va Racetrack last 2 days...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-1999, 11:45 AM
mozumder

Default drove TT @ Summit Point, W.Va Racetrack last 2 days...

OK I finally got on a racetrack, first time in my life. 2.5 mile track w/10 curves. Spent the last 2 days with my TT and an instructor. Some notes.

1. I consistently hit 110 on the main straightaway (2500 ft). This is right before sharp Turn 1. I hit a hard brake down to 40 mph from there.
2. Man does this car brake like anything. Awesome.
3. Noticed no lightness at this brake point. (meanwhile another TT driver- he had the quattro w/performance pack, kept sliding at this point.)
4. Razor Sharp cornering!! Surprisingly neutral, actually!! Very, very, well balanced. I am truly impressed with this car (and I bought it for the looks..
5. The only scary moment was when the drizzle started and the track got wet. Almost spun, but maintained control. (I have FWD model)
6. My basic driving skills need to be worked on. I did nearly everything wrong. jerky steering, incorrect throttle modulation, incorrect shifting. Did consistently take turn 3 nicely (70-80 mph). I got better after 2 days, but I need more practice...
7. Car bounces around quite a bit because of my bad throttle modulation. Doesn't bounce while braking, tho. (which is surprising because I've had it bounce around on the street while braking from lower speeds- 30-50 mph. i dunno whats up)

8. Unfortunately one TT driver took a turn to hard, and wound up on his side, because he ran sideways into the gravel, and it caught his wheels. He says it had nothing to do with any mechanical problem, tho. just simply took to fast.

my overall impression is that this car rocks on the track. Once I become a better driver I will probably explore more of it's limits, but otherwise I love this car, a true sports car.

The best thing is that it's so lightweight, and I have plans on making it lighter:

1. Lose the instructor, save 200lbs
2. Get on a diet, save 50 lbs.
3. Get a new job, hire company to make carbon fiber body panels and magnesium wheels and titanium crankshaft & connecting rods and carbon fiber brakes. Save 500 lbs...

Very hard to make this a better car.

I'd like to thank everybody at potomac quattro club (especally John Linkov). Without them this awesome event would not have been possible. My instructors were great, as well. I'd also like to thank God and everybody at Death Row records...

-bobby "cut to commercial!" mozumder
Old 10-20-1999, 12:25 PM
John TT

How many $$ for the 2 days? (if you don't mind my asking) (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 03:13 PM
mozumder

Default Re: How many $$ for the 2 days? (if you don't mind my asking) (nt)

I think it was $225 for the actual event (organized by Quattro club of Potomac), and then there's helmet rental ($15) & hotel.

-bobby
Old 10-20-1999, 04:10 PM
Snoop Dogg

Default And Death Row is still the label that pays me.............(nt)

nt
Old 10-20-1999, 04:21 PM
John TT

Stellar - I'll see you with my 225 next year (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 04:27 PM
GO TT

Yeah. And my uncle, he shovel's his driveway when it snows(what the hell was that last post about) (nt)
Old 10-20-1999, 04:56 PM
sjv

Default Mozumder made an obscure reference to the Death Row record label, home of many Rap artists.

I found the reference pretty damn funny...
Old 10-21-1999, 03:24 AM
GO TT

Ahhhh. Didn't finish reading that prior post. My sincerest apologies. (nt)