TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

DSG RANDOM DECLUTCHING

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSG RANDOM DECLUTCHING

The DSG transmission will disconnect the engine from the driveline for a second or two at random times. It appears to be an intermittent fault in the speed/temperature sensor internal to the transmission. Changing the transmission oil and filter did not help. The car is a 2004 TT 3.2. There are no error lights illuminating on the instrument panel. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes - very intermittent and very annoying ...

... used to only happen crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge on the uphill to the west span, then only going up the hill to my house when it was foggy -- then it started happening pulling away from stop lights (basically at any time), but I've train myself to apply the throttle slowly, then quickly to avoid the de-clutching. Who knows what's going on it there. I still love this car.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by winchou
... used to only happen crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge on the uphill to the west span, then only going up the hill to my house when it was foggy -- then it started happening pulling away from stop lights (basically at any time), but I've train myself to apply the throttle slowly, then quickly to avoid the de-clutching. Who knows what's going on it there. I still love this car.
Have you ever had it diagnosed? I did, and the computer came up with an error code for the speed sensor in the transmission. I had the sensor replaced (a $800 job) and after a day or two it started it again. I'll take the car in again next week for another read of the computer, then decide what to do about the problem. My wife doesn't like to drive the car because she is afraid that the clutch might not re-engage while she is driving and leave her stranded. It is really too bad that I didn't opt for the manual transmission when I bought the car.

Audi has no interest in helping with this problem. A lesson learned for me.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paloaltoh
Have you ever had it diagnosed? I did, and the computer came up with an error code for the speed sensor in the transmission. I had the sensor replaced (a $800 job) and after a day or two it started it again. I'll take the car in again next week for another read of the computer, then decide what to do about the problem. My wife doesn't like to drive the car because she is afraid that the clutch might not re-engage while she is driving and leave her stranded. It is really too bad that I didn't opt for the manual transmission when I bought the car.

Audi has no interest in helping with this problem. A lesson learned for me.
I thought Audi extended the warranty on some of the DSG transmissions. Not sure what years though.

Really cool to drive, however I would never own a DSG TT without a warranty.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default have not tried to get diagnosed yet ...

... I can still go most days without incident. My car sat idle long enough that the trip computer reset and stuff; I thought a TCU re-flash would solve the problem - but that's just me guessing. Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default DSG initial diagnosis - Mechatronic unit

So the scan showed some "sporadic" speed sensor error codes, but they cleared and the tech does not think that is the problem. He thinks it may be the Mechatronic unit which was recalled on other MY TTs and DSG cars:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253399
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Issues-Thread

Gotta let the car cool after test drive, and he can check the fluids and the unit. More news soon.

Last edited by winchou; 09-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default new diagnosis: temp sensor - same fix that did not work for you ...

So the tech came back with the same suggestion - after replacing the tranny oil and pulling the codes after a test drive, they said the same thing: replace the temp/speed sensor ($940). I told them to check this out:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94482

And here's a press release from VWGoA that seems to confirm the above fix and extend the warranty on the DSG for MY 2007-2009:

http://media.vw.com/press_releases/v...ervice-program

Is it the toilet float thingie? They are going to send this upstream and see what AoA says. I told them I don't want to be out over $900 and not have this thing resolved. Fingers crossed.

Audi Customer Relations Campaign Help Line : 1-800-253-AUDI (2834).

Last edited by winchou; 09-14-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default mechatronic unit confirmed ...

... of course only after the temp/speed sensor replaced ($900+).

I cried to AoA - so far to no avail. Looks like I'm out about $4000.
I can't even get a loaner. Will now continue crying to myself.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default dealership reports car is fixed ...

(I feel like I'm talking to myself, but might as well finish the thread)

AoA will cover half the costs, and Audi of Oakland got me an A3 TDI loaner.
I'm still out about $2000, and I plan to pursue the matter further with AoA.
But I am somewhat relieved that Audi stood by their product in some part.
I am, after all, two years out of warranty; still a car with less than 40K miles
should not suffer a $4000 transmission repair - IMHO.

I pick up the car tomorrow.